Why does my attribute data vanish when uploading a time enabled service?

07-19-2017 11:12 AM
KristenThiebault
New Contributor II

I am not sure what is happening, but when I enable time on a layer and share it as a service, the resulting upload is dysfunctional as the attribute data for the time enabled layer is missing. 

My time enabled point layer contains a total of 608 attributes for 32 sites (19 instances for each site).  I shared this time enabled layer as a service on ArcGIS online, and when I checked out the new feature layer (hosted) online all 608 attributes are missing from the point layer and my points are missing from the map. I can open the attribute table and see the column titles though they are empty of data. The time slider is also present and even depicts the correct time frame though there is nothing to animate.  I can share the same point layer with time disabled as a service, and the 608 attributes are present.

I should mention that when creating and adjusting the time enabled layer using ArcGIS Desktop, the time slider works perfectly and the data displays without issue. Prior to uploading the time enabled layer as a service, I made sure to correct all of the errors that were found (such as needing templates and having an in memory join).

5 Replies
MarkBinder
Occasional Contributor

I had this same problem too. Then I changed my time data from just the year; YYYY, to the full date; 1/1/YYYY, and the points started showing up on the ArcGIS online map. I also made sure that the date fields were of the "Date" type in my feature class.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

What is the field type for date field?

Please check the data in ArcMap and the field type in the resulting feature layer. I have heard of a similar issue when the date field was double.

0 Kudos
MarkBinder
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I was using double as the field type with just the four digit year. I switched to short integer, still with the four digit year, republished the feature service, and get no data when I try to use it in an ArcGIS Online map.

0 Kudos
KristenThiebault
New Contributor II

I do not have access to the data at the moment so I am unsure what the field type is for the date field. Thank you Katie Cullen and Mark Binder for both of your suggestions. I will try them both and post my results.

0 Kudos
JarrodDoucette
New Contributor II

I had the same issue with a time field that was long type.  I created a date type field, and used the Convert Time Field geoprocessing tool to move the dates from the long field to the date field.  Note that if you have time enabled in your map, the new date fields will only be calculated for features that are visible.