Select to view content in your preferred language

Using ArcGIS Explorer, ArcGIS Explorer Online, and ArcGIS.com

07-28-2010 02:15 PM
elizabettinger
New Contributor
Hello,

I use ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1.

- If I create a map in ArcGIS Explorer, is there a way that can I transfer that map to ArcGIS.com, and thereby embed that map in a website?

I have spent a long time on these forums and in the various help systems, and I am still confused.

Thank you.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Let's see if I can help clear things up for you.

There is a new web map that lives in ArcGIS.com. It doesn't exist as a file on your computer, but only in ArcGIS.com. This web map can be authored using the ArcGIS.com map viewer or in ArcGIS Explorer Online (http://explorer.arcgis.com). The web map can also be viewed in ArcGIS Explorer Desktop (, ArcMap version 10 and the iPhone. Essentially the web map contains layers that reference map services. So it is possible to look at the contents of a web map and manually add those map services as layers in ArcMap 9.3.1.

You can also embed the web map in your own website, much like you can embed a video in a website. In ArcGIS.com, create your web map on the Map tab. Once you save your map you can share it. Click the Share button and copy/paste the "embed this map" text into a web page.

ArcGIS.com also supports uploading files, such as ArcMap documents (MXD) and ArcGIS Explorer  Maps (NMF). These files can be searched for and downloaded, but you can't display them on the web. They will only open in the application that created them.

Hope this helps,

Mike
0 Kudos