Select to view content in your preferred language

Updating Feature Layers

07-21-2015 07:09 AM
ShelbyZemken1
New Contributor III

Seems to me the process for overwriting a feature layer in AGOL is quite difficult and picky. See the attached photos for all the requirements.

My goal is to preserve the description, view count, rating, metadata of feature layers that are often updated.

As far as I understand, if Feature Layer data table column has been edited in anyway, an overwrite is not possible. For example my city hosts a feature layer that contains information about parking lots, their location, operating hours, and pricing. The city recently updated this feature layer and removed the pricing field, rendering an update impossible.

Is it likely, or even possible, that in the near future overwriting feature layers will be easier to manage?

I'm also trying to figure out a way to best manage data so I can update all my feature layers as quickly as possible.

I can't be the only one!

I've also tried to update my FS from ArcDesktop, but when I get to the overwrite wizard, I do the following: Share as Service --> Overwrite an existing service, select outdated dataset --> (A warning box pops up, see attachment) --> I click yes....warning box disappears, then nothing happens.

thanks for reading

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I have used this python code very successfully to sync my hosted FS's: Updating your hosted feature service for 10.2 | ArcGIS Blog . Using windows task scheduler, it's even easier. Most of my operational AGOL FS's are updated daily in this manner.

0 Kudos
ShelbyZemken1
New Contributor III

Thomas,

I did see that, it seems to be useful for updating services at specific intervals.

One of my jobs is to publish features services, and also republish them when they are updated. Unfortunately, they are updated whenever the various organisations decide to do so.

For example, a city published data 6 months ago, and the recently updated the FS. Their update removed a few records, and also removed a field. I think this means that I cannot update the same FS, because the fields have changed. I'm not quite sure though, it's very complicated to me.

0 Kudos