Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to save map after making changes

07-28-2010 04:32 PM
chris_miller_alaska
New Contributor III
I've recently made changes to a map published on ArcGIS.com http://bit.ly/dt7p2d
I added an additional layer and a new extent was created and saved. Everything to seems to save OK but when I try to go back into open map I get a message: "The current map has unsaved changes. Are you sure you want to open the map and loose unsaved changes?"

Has anyone experienced a similar message? I'm using IE 8.

Thanks,

Chris Miller
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Chris,

This is what I think you are doing...

You created and saved your map. Then you navigated away from the map tab to a different page in ArcGIS.com. Then to go back to your map, you navigated to My Content, found your map and clicked Open to view it. Is that correct?

The ArcGIS.com application isn't currently checking to see if the map you are opening is actually the same as the map you currently have open on the Map tab. An easier way to get back to your map is to simply click the Map tab at the top of the application.

The reason why you are getting this message is because any small change to make to a map, even panning and zooming the map, will flag it as "changed". Thus, when you go to open one of your other maps, the system will tell you that the map you currently have open has changed, giving you the chance to save it before you open the new map.

You can always just click "yes" to open a new map if you don't really care to save any changes to the currently open map.

Hope this helps,

Mike
0 Kudos
chris_miller_alaska
New Contributor III
Mike,
Yes this does help. I suspected it was a navigation issue. It might be just me, but it seems awefully clunky and non-intuitive. Not complaining...we love the accessibilty ArcGIS.com provides to a program with limited tech support. Guess..I'll just have to learn how to navigate the page properly.

Thanks for the response.

--Chris
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
How would you improve the site navigation to make this more intuitive?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MargaretHerzog
New Contributor
Mike,

When this happened to me after working all afternoon adding an event theme, I really did lose all my changes for the whole day, though I had been changing incrementally all day, using Save (not Save As).  It just reverted to the previous day's map, losing all my edits.

Thanks for explaining how this may have happened.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
mtherzog

If you saved your changes, I'm not sure why you lost them. What browser are you using? Can you provide a set of steps that will reproduce your problem?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos