Unable to import this shapefile

10-19-2020 10:09 PM
ŠarūnasKubilius
New Contributor

I was trying to import a zipped shapefile into my map in ArcGis Online, but all I got was an error "Unable to import this shapefile". The shape file contains around 900 polygons, and I was able to import it to My Content, yet that shapefile didnt appear when I tried to add it to my map. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

When you uploaded your shapefile, did you also publish it as a hosted feature layer? See the "Publish a shapefile or GeoJSON file" section in following documentation for those instructions:

Once the shapefile is published as a hosted feature layer you should be able to add it to your map. 

0 Kudos
ŠarūnasKubilius
New Contributor

Thank you for replying, I tried to follow the steps described in the documentation, but the Publish this file as a hosted layer box is missing from the "Add item from your computer" window.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Here are two possible reasons the "Publish this file as a hosted layer" box could be missing and it depends on whether this is occurring on an ArcGIS Online public account or on an ArcGIS Online organization account:

1) If it is on an AGOL public account, the box is missing because this is not a privilege given to public accounts.

2) If it is on an AGOL organization account, the account role likely does not have publishing rights enabled at the moment, in which case the AGOL organization account's administrator can enable the appropriate role for the account. Further information on roles and the privileges that come with them can be found in the following documentation listed below: