Select to view content in your preferred language

Topographic basemap issues

Jump to solution
05-09-2023 07:50 AM
HelenCooper
Frequent Contributor

Hi, 

Some some strange linear features appear on the topographic basemap at a certain zoom level (see screen shot below).  There are no layers on this map, so this is definitely something appearing on the basemap.  If I zoom out again the features disappear (as per my second screen shot below); and when I zoom in a couple of levels, the features also disappear. 

HelenCooper_1-1683640998548.png

HelenCooper_2-1683641056360.png

It doesn't happen everywhere on the map, but in this particular area of Kent, UK, it seems to be an issue!

Has anyone else experience the same issue?

Helen

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

After checking with members of the basemaps team, what you are seeing are artifacts in the elevation data used in several production basemaps and prototypes. These are very localized and as you note only occur at specific LODs. These are known and are being resolved. These will be in a patch happening prior to the ArcGIS Online update currently scheduled for June 14th. These elevation artifacts will be corrected in a patch scheduled for June 7th, you won't need to do anything they will just disappear.

View solution in original post

EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

Hi @HelenCooper,

Yes, I do see it. This looks like a bug in the World Hillshade Basemap. As Bern mentioned our team is working to address it.

In the meantime if you want to use the Topographic Basemap, I recommend this work around: 

• Open the Basemap Properties
  • Notice 2 layers listed
  1. World Topograpic Map
  2. World Hillshade
  • Hover on World Hillshade and click the eye symbol to Hide the Layer
  • You can always add another Hillshade layer from the Living Atlas, if that layer is important to have in the map

• EmilyGeo_0-1683654609249.png

Thanks for pointing this out! 

RajinderNagi
Esri Contributor

Hi @HelenCooper, this issue has been resolved. Please clear your browser cache before checking. Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

After checking with members of the basemaps team, what you are seeing are artifacts in the elevation data used in several production basemaps and prototypes. These are very localized and as you note only occur at specific LODs. These are known and are being resolved. These will be in a patch happening prior to the ArcGIS Online update currently scheduled for June 14th. These elevation artifacts will be corrected in a patch scheduled for June 7th, you won't need to do anything they will just disappear.

EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

Hi @HelenCooper,

Yes, I do see it. This looks like a bug in the World Hillshade Basemap. As Bern mentioned our team is working to address it.

In the meantime if you want to use the Topographic Basemap, I recommend this work around: 

• Open the Basemap Properties
  • Notice 2 layers listed
  1. World Topograpic Map
  2. World Hillshade
  • Hover on World Hillshade and click the eye symbol to Hide the Layer
  • You can always add another Hillshade layer from the Living Atlas, if that layer is important to have in the map

• EmilyGeo_0-1683654609249.png

Thanks for pointing this out! 

HelenCooper
Frequent Contributor

Very many thanks @BernSzukalski and @EmilyGeo for the quick replies, that's all helpful and good news!

Helen

0 Kudos
RajinderNagi
Esri Contributor

Hi @HelenCooper, this issue has been resolved. Please clear your browser cache before checking. Thanks!

0 Kudos
HelenCooper
Frequent Contributor

Thanks @RajinderNagi, that's great. 

0 Kudos