Select to view content in your preferred language

This Map is not Available Message

12-08-2010 01:30 PM
DonCopple
Occasional Contributor III
Hi I have built a map on ArcGIS Online, shared it with Everyone.  I am trying to embed it in a website now, but am getting the Map is not available in the frame.  I click the chainlink in the upper right side of the map, and then copy the html code onto my webpage.  It's is like it is working for a few minutes at pulling it up, but then is just white with that message.  Anyone else figure a work around?

Thanks.....
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
23 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Embedded code can't be copied and pasted into emails. Typically, you use the embed code inside a hosted web page. For example, you might copy the code into a .html file, put that file on your web server and serve it up. Your web page will then contain the embedded map. Alternatively, you can embed it into another website, such as a blog, like I did here:

http://mikeandrika.blogspot.com/

Both of your maps are shown in the blog.

What exactly do you want to do? If you want to send a link to your map through email, copy the link that's shown on the share dialog. See attachment.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
TimSpivey
What exactly do you want to do?

Mike, thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to send the code along to the person who maintains our county web site.

So I should instead paste the code into a text document and send as an e-mail attachment?

Tim

PS, oddly enough, the first block of code, for the other map with imagery, opens nicely from an e-mail - to the map ... color me puzzled ...
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I would say that pasting it into Notepad would be guaranteed to work...  They would then paste it into the web page to serve up.

You are correct that part of the embed code is a valid URL to the map that will allow it to display in arcgis.com. But, it's not really meant to be used directly as links you send to someone.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
TimSpivey
Mike -
Much obliged

Tim
0 Kudos
TimSpivey
Mike - I thought we had it figured out, but ....
I sent both blocks of html code to the person who maintains our web page, and she is having problems.

Is there any way you or another expert could call her and walk her through the process?

If not, here's what she told me -
If she copies a block of code in its entirety, she gets an error message like "page can not be read."
If she omits the frame formatting code up to the "http://xxxxxxxx" portion, the map will load, but scroll controls are not visible, and the map is unconfined, fills the entire page.

From what I can understand, she is coding our home page manually, not using any page building software or templates.

Thanks,
Tim
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
If you need to speak with someone, you would need to call ESRI technical support, as those of us who monitor the forums are not set up to handle calls. Sorry. Also, my web programming skills are basic at best 🙂

I've attached a text file that you can look at. Copy this file, change the extension to .html and place it on your web server. It should just work (I tried it myself locally).

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
TomMcConnell
New Contributor
This is in response to an earlier post.  I have created a map in ArcGIS Explorer Online, and have shared it with everyone.  I want to embed the link in a public web site, and have copied the html link to notepad, and attached to an email I sent to the webmaster.  He has inserted it, but when I click on the link, I get the "This map is not available" message.  The map opens fine in ArcGIS Online.

The html file is attached.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
@McConnell

Can you elaborate a little more?

The text you've included is embed code. This allows you to embed your map on a web page. I've embeded your map in my test blog.

http://mikesarcgismaps.blogspot.com/2011/07/fire-map.html

If you simply want to link to a map and have it display inside arcgis online, then this is the URL you need:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=b8b4a1caec2c48748f419cc880039535

Hope this helps,

Mike
0 Kudos
TomMcConnell
New Contributor
Thanks, Mike.  I do want to embed this map in a web site, so your first link sounds like what I need.  When I click on the link to your blogspot web, I still get the same "This map is not available" message.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
What web browser are you using? That may be an issue too. I'm using Chrome and can see the map display. However, it is slow to display. It takes about 10 seconds before I can see it.

Your map is kind of big, 6MB. In the desktop world, it's not big, but in the web, it is. It's a 6MB download of data to the web browser (which takes 2-4 seconds itself), then the web browser has to draw all the shapefile data.

Did you use the generalize option when adding the shapefile to the map? That will help make the data a little smaller. Also, if you have ArcGIS Desktop, you can generalize the data yourself before you add it to the map. The smaller you can make the shapefile, the better your map will perform.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos