Symbolizing features on related table field

08-12-2016 08:12 AM
AndyFairbairn
Occasional Contributor

I'm interested in this work-around to use a related table field to categorise the symbols of my feature layer, mentioned in a comment to a blog post (would be nice if this was an out-of-the-box feature, hopefully coming soon??!):

Related Tables – Exploring New Ways to use Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Blog

It also seems to be mentioned in a link in a comment below it from kwikstrom

Is anyone familiar with this technique?  I don't understand it/can't get it to work.

I'm using ArcGIS Online rather than a self hosted Server Portal if that makes any difference?

The things I don't understand are:

• In my setup, if I create a second feature service, this will be totally independent of the first one (so any changes to the related table information in the first service won't feed through to my second symbolizing service)
  • What is the definition query adding to the mix? (This is also mentioned in the linked article.) Once the join has been created you can symbolize on the joined data anyway, without the definition query (at least in ArcMap)
  • In memory joins aren't supported by ArcGIS Online, so when I upload as a service definition as suggested, the feature layer doesn't work - you can only see the related table.  If he's talking about permanently joining the related table field to the feature, then the whole thing seems a bit pointless.

I'd be grateful for any guidance given.

Cheers,

Andy.

0 Kudos
0 Replies