Select to view content in your preferred language

Supported Content Items in Partnered Collaborations

Jump to solution
08-06-2023 11:04 PM
EmilyMcLean_onneer
New Contributor III

We are using both Distributed and Partnered Collaborations. 

There is a full page detailing the types of supported content items for distributed collaborations: Share content with collaboration groups—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation. Is there anything similar for Partnered Collaborations? 

If not, can anyone confirm whether there are any differences in the content items supported between Distributed and Partnered collaborations? 

Thanks!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

One reason that Distributed Collaborations have limitations regarding content that can be shared is that you are collaborating between an Online and Enterprise Portal. The Online Portal will always be of a newer version than the Enterprise Portal and thus support things that the Enterprise Portal does not.

With a Partnered Collaboration you are working Online to Online and you are sharing access to content, not content itself. So there should not be any limitations regarding what content that can be shared, but I cannot find it explicitly stated in the documentation.

View solution in original post

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

As @AndreasHall said you won't find the distributed collaboration limitations as much as the portal-portal compatibility of ArcGIS Online is at parity. As such I don't believe there are limits on sharing items. At least not in my experience, understanding or review of the documentation.

The issues you could encounter are more generic content related sharing/access issues a it adds a layer of complexity to your sharing model. Some examples that come to mind:

• ArcGIS Hub content and group collaboration - see this blog post for a Q/A on it.
  • Spatial user workflow error - sharing to organization, and to group, not understanding partnered collaboration
  • Embedding content without using generic URLs. If you include the org shortkey (emlovesmaps.arcgis.com/...) in a shared/embedded item URL, the app and embedded item may share OK to the group but then be inaccessible to the end users. Not a group issue

Outside of the hub content note, these issues aren't unique to partnered collaboration.

If you want some peace of mind, searching online for error and "partnered collaboration" doesn't return any hits.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

One reason that Distributed Collaborations have limitations regarding content that can be shared is that you are collaborating between an Online and Enterprise Portal. The Online Portal will always be of a newer version than the Enterprise Portal and thus support things that the Enterprise Portal does not.

With a Partnered Collaboration you are working Online to Online and you are sharing access to content, not content itself. So there should not be any limitations regarding what content that can be shared, but I cannot find it explicitly stated in the documentation.

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

As @AndreasHall said you won't find the distributed collaboration limitations as much as the portal-portal compatibility of ArcGIS Online is at parity. As such I don't believe there are limits on sharing items. At least not in my experience, understanding or review of the documentation.

The issues you could encounter are more generic content related sharing/access issues a it adds a layer of complexity to your sharing model. Some examples that come to mind:

• ArcGIS Hub content and group collaboration - see this blog post for a Q/A on it.
  • Spatial user workflow error - sharing to organization, and to group, not understanding partnered collaboration
  • Embedding content without using generic URLs. If you include the org shortkey (emlovesmaps.arcgis.com/...) in a shared/embedded item URL, the app and embedded item may share OK to the group but then be inaccessible to the end users. Not a group issue

Outside of the hub content note, these issues aren't unique to partnered collaboration.

If you want some peace of mind, searching online for error and "partnered collaboration" doesn't return any hits.

EmilyMcLean_onneer
New Contributor III

Thank you @AndreasHall and @ChristopherCounsell for providing that context! 

I've re-read the documentation on partnered collaborations again, and I can see now how that information is inferred throughout. It would be great to have a comparison piece explaining the different concepts on which Distributed Collaborations and Partnered Collaborations are built.

Thanks for clearing up my immediate issue though!