Sharing Maps as read only without save?

05-13-2013 10:11 AM
MaryDe_La_Garza
New Contributor
Is it possible to share a map to a group as read only, without letting the group members be able to save the map?
I understand users being unable to make changes to what is uploaded, but I'd rather not let them save their own copy.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
If you have the Publisher extension one of the best ways is to make an  ArcReader Published Map File and they can have full viewing access to your database but they cannot edit it.  They can also then have their own PMF on their machines and can actually mark it up and it will not have any effect on your database or your MXD's

The ArcReader program is free and can be installed on any machine.

You may also want to explore ArcGIS Explorer Desktop as a possible option. 

Is it possible to share a map to a group as read only, without letting the group members be able to save the map?
I understand users being unable to make changes to what is uploaded, but I'd rather not let them save their own copy.
0 Kudos
MaryDe_La_Garza
New Contributor
Thank you for your reply, although that's not quite what I meant. In more specifics, I am sharing a Web Map on ArcGIS Online to a group. Because of semi-sensitive location information, I only want the group to be able to visually see/open/explore the map online. I don't want them to be able to download the map and get at all the table data. Are there provisions in ArcGIS online group management that would allow me to set read online only, no download?
0 Kudos
AkosKisreti1
Occasional Contributor
Thank you for your reply, although that's not quite what I meant. In more specifics, I am sharing a Web Map on ArcGIS Online to a group. Because of semi-sensitive location information, I only want the group to be able to visually see/open/explore the map online. I don't want them to be able to download the map and get at all the table data. Are there provisions in ArcGIS online group management that would allow me to set read online only, no download?

Hi,

I think that if group members have Arcgis Desktop 10.0 or 10.1, they are able to download the content of the web map even if they have only user privileges. So there is no read only/online option.

Ákos
0 Kudos