Setting the Polling feature layer in Crowdsource Polling App

Jump to solution
09-15-2017 01:43 PM
BrianLedder1
New Contributor

Hello, I'm having trouble setting the polling feature layer in the crowdsource polling app. 

I am using a web map with two point file feature layers. But the option to select my polling feature layer is greyed out and I cannot select anything. The layers I have function properly in the web map. Am I missing something? A column in their CSV perhaps that allows for comments.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AllisonMuise1
Occasional Contributor III

You will need to publish editable feature layers from your shape files in order to use them as polling layers. Note that you cannot enable editing on your shapefile layers. There is also no item details page or rest endpoint, indicating that this is not a feature layer (yet!).

To create feature layers, add your shapefiles to your organization account from the Content page by clicking Add Item>From My Computer. Choose a shapefile zip, give it a name and tags and make sure 'Publish files as a hosted layer' is checked before clicking OK.

Wait a minute or two while the service publishes. The item details page that loads will have 4 tabs once it's completed. Go to the Settings tab and enable Editing.

You can now add this new feature layer to your polling map and it will be available for use as a Polling layer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AllisonMuise1

It sounds like the map doesn't include any layers that are recognized by the Polling template. You mention CSV files. Are the layers in your map feature layers (with details page, REST endpoint, etc) or did you add them to the map by dragging and dropping a CSV file?

Polling requires the former - an editable feature layer - to use for the polling feature layer. If you'd like to collect comments on the features in that layer, it must also have a related table created prior to publishing using a relationship class:

Create Relationship Class—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Create Relationship Class—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
BrianLedder1
New Contributor

Thanks for your help. The layers I have are shapfiles added to the web map by using Add>Add layer from file>Zip file containing all shapefile files.

I did not make a related table prior to publishing. I could do that and test but it sounds like I should be able to at least set the polling feature layer with out it. 

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

You will need to publish editable feature layers from your shape files in order to use them as polling layers. Note that you cannot enable editing on your shapefile layers. There is also no item details page or rest endpoint, indicating that this is not a feature layer (yet!).

To create feature layers, add your shapefiles to your organization account from the Content page by clicking Add Item>From My Computer. Choose a shapefile zip, give it a name and tags and make sure 'Publish files as a hosted layer' is checked before clicking OK.

Wait a minute or two while the service publishes. The item details page that loads will have 4 tabs once it's completed. Go to the Settings tab and enable Editing.

You can now add this new feature layer to your polling map and it will be available for use as a Polling layer.

0 Kudos
BrianLedder1
New Contributor

Ok, Thank you. But I think I must have a public account, not an organization account. I don't have an option to "Publish files as a hosted layer". 

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

In that case, you would need an organization account to proceed.

0 Kudos