Public Editable Feature Layers

01-23-2017 11:31 AM
MargaretDaly
New Contributor

Hi, i have a multi-part question.

1.) how can I create an editable feature layer in arcgis online? can I do it with a public account?

2.) can I allow anyone viewing the map the ability to add points to this feature layer (not just people with arcgis online accounts, but anyone viewing the map)? 

3.) Could this map be embedded in a website-- edited by the public within the embed?

Basically I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to embed a map on a website that allows people who visit the website to add events with information to the map in the form of points. With google maps, people have to have a google account to do this, but I would like to be able to allow anyone to do this (someone would check the map every day for cleanup).

I read that there are editable feature layers out there with ArcGIS online (ie for the birding community to add pictures/sightings/etc to a map). Wondering how to execute this, possibly without ArcGIS desktop.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Margaret,

In order to make a publicly editable feature layer, you need to use an ArcGIS Online organization account. If you want to test this out, try starting up a trial to see the functionality. Also, take a look at the geoform app for an easy to use interface for the public to submit information.

Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Geoform App:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=931653256fd24301a84fc77955914a82 

-Kelly

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Margaret,

> I read that there are editable feature layers out there with ArcGIS online (ie for the birding community to add pictures/sightings/etc to a map). Wondering how to execute this, possibly without ArcGIS desktop.

Please take a look at Survey123 for ArcGIS, which should meet your needs. With an ArcGIS Online organization account, you can create and survey a bird sighting survey - which should meet your needs.

Survey123 for ArcGIS Product Overview - YouTube 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos