Select to view content in your preferred language

Problem with uploading 10.1 map packages onto ArcGis Online (for a class group)

04-07-2013 03:20 PM
MichaelSahimi
New Contributor
Hi all, I hope this is an easy question for you guys.

For one of my classes, we need to upload a map package of our assignment to the class's ArcGIS Online group. But I am having problems with my map packages. I finish working on my MXD, save it, and then take all the necessary steps to create the map package and upload it onto my ArcGIS Online account. However, when I go to "My Content" and open the map package either by directly downloading or "Open in ArcGIS 10 for Desktop," the resulting document that opens up is completely empty, with a single layer without any data or shapefiles.

I'm really stumped about what I'm doing wrong, especially since the "Analyze" button during packaging says I don't have any errors or warnings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The map package is public and located here: <http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=5bd6ae93f50e4d9cbe1f1b9dc3d11fc0>.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarcSwartz
Occasional Contributor
Question: Was your upload to AGOL a .MPK file?  If so a .MPK is for sharing "complete map documents with others" not for viewing on AGOL. 
You might want to make a tile package .TPK  DataManagement Tools....Package....Create Map Tile Package. 
Once .TPK is created then  DataManagement Tools....Package....Share Package. 
Once the .TPK is uploaded to AGOL you will need to click on the .tpk file name in your MYContent location.  This will open a new window where you will find the "Publish" button.

Marc
0 Kudos
MichaelSahimi
New Contributor
Yes, I uploaded an .MPK file to AGOL. But I'm not using it for viewing on AGOL, I tested the file by downloading it back from AGOL onto a computer and trying to view it with ArgGIS 10.1. Since this is for submitting a class assignment, I believe that is how my instructor will be viewing the assignments.

But I will give the TPK method a try.

thanks.
0 Kudos