Problem with 3D buildings and coordinates

02-09-2017 04:20 AM
VillemVoormansik
New Contributor

I am trying to create a web scene with 3D buildings, but there seems to be a problem with Z-values. I am using shapefiles with Z-values that store absolute height, the file is in Web Mercator projection. The problem is illustrated on the attached screen capture which shows the same data in global and local scenes. The data is distorted when using local scene, but displays correctly when using global scene. I want to use local scene type as I want to show only the clipped area of interest. How come the data is distorted on the local scene and how to avoid it?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
IvonneSeler
New Contributor

Hello,

The distortion shown in the picture indicates that there is a vertical unit difference. I assume the z values are in feet? When you say your data are in Web Mercator projection does this mean the original data are in this projection or did the data get projected into Web Mercator? Would it be possible to send the shapefiles coordinate systems information?

With this information it should be possible to reproduce and give a definite answer.

0 Kudos
VillemVoormansik
New Contributor

All values are in meters. The original data was in a local projected coordinate system. I used ArcGIS desktop to reproject it into Web Mercator and uploaded the reprojected data as I understand things should be easier in Web Mercator if using online maps. Here's the content of the .prj file:

PROJCS["WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere",GEOGCS["GCS_WGS_1984",DATUM["D_WGS_1984",SPHEROID["WGS_1984",6378137.0,298.257223563]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0.0],UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION["Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere"],PARAMETER["False_Easting",0.0],PARAMETER["False_Northing",0.0],PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",0.0],PARAMETER["Standard_Parallel_1",0.0],PARAMETER["Auxiliary_Sphere_Type",0.0],UNIT["Meter",1.0]]

Thank you for looking into this!

0 Kudos