Select to view content in your preferred language

Portfolio Template App - Sync Maps

04-13-2023 04:57 PM
cedwards8511
New Contributor III

I created an app with the Portfolio template but would like to know how to connect/sync the map tabs. 

I want to zoom/pan in one map and have that same view reflected in the others.

Tags (2)
3 Replies
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

In the Interactivity panel, set Search location on:

BernSzukalski_1-1681432312514.png

This will add a location search to the advance/play tools in the upper right.

BernSzukalski_2-1681432348802.png

If you search for a location using that tool, all other maps in Portfolio will go to that location.

Note that you can also define the location for all maps to zoom to by toggling on Define location, then clicking Configure:

BernSzukalski_4-1681432469076.png

Try this sample Portfolio:

https://onlinelabs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/portfolio/index.html?appid=e8941e6e95d64efbaaa452e10...

In that example I have defined the location for all tabs to open to Riverside, CA. Use the toggle location panel tool in the upper right to enter a new location:

BernSzukalski_5-1681432689835.png

This overrides the default location settings and all tabs will open to that new location.

If that seems less than obvious for your app users, you can use the app's Intro panel to provide instructions on how to change the location, and can also set the Introduction panel to open automatically when the app is opened.

BernSzukalski_6-1681432866465.png

BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

I forgot to add that you can have that search location tool open when the app is opened, which makes it a lot more obvious.

0 Kudos
HaileyWright1
New Contributor III

In the deprecated story map series template, enabling “synchronize map locations” made it so that the initial location of the first map is applied to all maps (Bern has showed how to achieve that in Portfolio) but also that navigation by users in any map is reflected in all maps. Is there a there a similar setting in portfolio (or perhaps another app) that achieves the second piece? Essentially I’d like the user to zoom and pan in on one map/tab, then switch to another map/tab and see additional data but at the same scale and extent. Appreciate any pointers!

0 Kudos