Select to view content in your preferred language

popup images

08-05-2014 08:04 AM
KateGroff
New Contributor

newbie just doesn't describe me. are there size and resolution best practices for images in popups. also is there a recommended browser for mac users?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Kate,

Are you talking about a certain Web Mapping API, ArcMap, or ArcGIS Online? Popups will create a thumbnail of the image and if it is to small or to large to fill the popup width it will have to be resized to fit and cause distortion (in most of the Web API popups).

0 Kudos
KateGroff
New Contributor

Robert,

I think I'm talking about ArcGIS online? I work for a small rural arts council. We have a tour (100 artists) twice a year; they are scattered around two counties. With help from a long distance person in Florida, I have managed to upload a csv file and add a picture (did a test). However, before I created and upload 100 urls, I want to make certain the specs fall within the guidelines. Guess what I'm asking is "is there a popup height and width and resolution for perfect sizing?" I work on the other end with photoshop and indesign, so this is all so foreign. Also, I tried using Chrome (my browser of choice). Couldn't move anything. So now I am using Safari for my Arc map. Should I be using Firefox?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Kate,

I am not a Mac user so I don't have any advice there. But as for the images I would follow your standard web image practices, i.e. reduce resolution and size to account for bandwidth and download times. In Photoshop I use the save for web and watch the size and download time change as I choose different options. So bottom line is a 2K x 2K image is not what you want to be using. I tend to use some where around 780 x 520 or so.

0 Kudos
KateGroff
New Contributor

thanks so much...

0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

I've moved your post into the ArcGIS Online space. You will get a much better answer here as the GeoNet Help is intended for community help and feedback. You can see more on the community structure, and what topics are under each space from the following documents:

GeoNet Community Structure

ArcGIS Discussion Forums Migration Strategy

Thanks!

Timothy

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Essentially, you want images to be small, and thus quick to load. In the popup window of ArcGIS.com, images are scaled to fit 200x150 pixels.

As an alternative to displaying images in popups you might consider trying one of our StoryMaps web apps that allow you to add pictures and display them larger, not within a popup, but within the context of the application.

Story Maps

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
CONABIONC_for_Knowledge_and_Us
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kate:

Using photos in popups these blogs may be useful too:

best regards,

Flo

0 Kudos