Pop-up configuration inheritance

09-19-2017 01:57 PM
GLCAdmin
New Contributor II

I wonder if anyone has a better understanding of how the configurations of pop-ups are inherited in AGO.

So I have an AGO layer (Layer 1), and two Views (View 1 and View 2) created based on Layer 1. View 1 was created before I configure the Layer 1 pop-ups and View 2 was created after that. According to AGO help, the pop-up configurations should be inherited by these two views, but only View 2 was. If I re-configure the pop-up in Layer 1, then neither view would reflect my changes.

This does not make sense. Do I have to re-create views of a layer if I make any changes to the pop-up to have consistent information windows?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are you making the pop-up configurations in the visualization tab for Layer 1 or in the Web Map viewer?

0 Kudos
GLCAdmin
New Contributor II

In the Visualization tab. Actually, I started from the Web Map viewer, but the latest editing was done in the Visualization tab.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I believe this is expected behavior. The documentation states that the pop-up configuration (on the visualization tab) is inherited from the hosted feature layer from which they are created. To me this makes sense that whatever the configuration on the visualization tab at the time of creation is what would be inherited.

I don't think this implies that the relationship would be maintained in such a way that if the pop-up configuration changes on the hosted feature layer (in this case case layer 1) that those changes would be proliferated to the views.

The intent of the views is to be able to maintain reference to the same underlying data in order to get the most up to date version of that data while also allowing the symbology and pop-up configuration, editing privileges (among other things) to be changed independently.

I would like to hear more about your workflow and project to better understand the use case for pop-up configurations remaining in sync. Could you share the following:

What are you using the views for?

What is the project you are using views in?

What is it about the workflow that requires the pop-up configuration to change frequently?

GLCAdmin
New Contributor II

Thank you for your explanation, Katie! 

Right now we are migration our old web mapping application to AGO apps, and one of them has several maps using various symbologies but all based on attributes from the same data layer. So I am creating views to mimic the scenario. These views will share the same popup configuration, so I am configuring the layer popup so that I do not have to customize each view. But as a prototype, the information in the popup may change anytime. It is just becoming a hassle to repeat the configurations for all views after the layer changes and I am hoping I can cascade the settings. It is just something not technically incapable but inconvenient. Maybe to include a checkbox to allow the user to choose whether cascade the layer's setting to its views in the future release? 

0 Kudos