Select to view content in your preferred language

permission to export a feature layer

Jump to solution
05-24-2016 09:38 AM
SebastianRoberts
Occasional Contributor III

I have a user for whom I would like to turn on the appropriate permission that would allow him to export a Feature Layer (Source: Feature Service).  Does anyone know which permission I would need to grant?  Doe he have to be the owner?  This is a feature service that is used in a Collector App to collect field data.  Then the user needs to be able to download it, then do some additional processing in ArcMap,  in order to submit data to the State. If allowing him to Export is not possible, then some alternate workflow for downloading the data to ArcMap would be acceptable.

Screen shot of the admin with Export Capability:

Screen shot of the user with no Export possibility:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SebastianRoberts

Adrian,

Thanks for your reply.  Just checking the Export Data checkbox allowed the user to download the data. I didn't have to make it public (the feature service is shared with a group that the user is a member of), and he is able to navigate to the service through the group that he is a member of.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Sebastian,

This is tricky, but I found a way to make it work.

First, I have the layer set to Public.

Second, edit the layer and choose the Export Data check box:

Next, the user has to be able to log into an ArcGIS Online account. I believe any account will do (even a free one). But, the bottom line is, they have to be logged in.

Then, find the url for the service through ArcGIS Online (NOT through your organizational URL, if that makes sense).

Finally, the user can export the data.

I hope this helps.

SebastianRoberts

Adrian,

Thanks for your reply.  Just checking the Export Data checkbox allowed the user to download the data. I didn't have to make it public (the feature service is shared with a group that the user is a member of), and he is able to navigate to the service through the group that he is a member of.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Well, that's even easier! But, if you had to go the public route, the steps above would lead you there.

Glad to know it somewhat worked out.