No option to create webmap

Jump to solution
08-19-2021 02:59 PM
Labels (1)
RobertStevens
Occasional Contributor III

I am running arcmap (basic) 10.8.1 and have permissions to create in arcgis online

I have a fairly simple map with ESRI World Street Map as basemap.
I wish to save it to arcgis online as a webmap from an invocation on my desktop of arcmap

I see no option to do that. When I click share it presents me with two choices: to save as a map package or to save as a service. I don't think I want either of these.

Am I suffering from some vast misconception of what arcmap is capable of doing online? I know I used to be able to save webmaps: I can see a handful from previous work (albeit going back a few years).

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

You'd need ArcGIS Pro to share as a Web Map, I'd certainly recommend it over ArcMap for publishing of Map Services also (enablement of popups and popup configuration within the Map Service etc.)

If you can only use ArcMap, share the mxd as a service, then add that service into an empty (or existing) Web Map in ArcGIS Online and do your configuration within the Web Map there.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

You'd need ArcGIS Pro to share as a Web Map, I'd certainly recommend it over ArcMap for publishing of Map Services also (enablement of popups and popup configuration within the Map Service etc.)

If you can only use ArcMap, share the mxd as a service, then add that service into an empty (or existing) Web Map in ArcGIS Online and do your configuration within the Web Map there.

0 Kudos
RobertStevens
Occasional Contributor III

Hello David

Thanks. Your posting confirms what I had suspected. Arcmap is falling by the wayside fast, and my company should transition to arcpro asap. I'm just not going to mess with arcmap further.

0 Kudos