New Vector Basemaps in ArcGIS for Desktop?

Jump to solution
12-04-2015 05:52 AM
DanAllen
Occasional Contributor III

If you go to the new BETA Vector Basemaps group, there is an option for some of them to open in desktop.  When you select this, you get a .pkinfo file that downloads.  When you click on the .pkinfo, it opens in ArcGIS for Desktop, but it does not do anything, and shows up with a red X in the table of contents.

Are the BETA vector basemaps not currently supported for desktop?

http://www.arcgis.com/home/group.html?id=30de8da907d240a0bccd5ad3ff25ef4a

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RachelWeeden
Esri Contributor

Hi Dan-

These vector basemaps are not currently viewable in ArcGIS Desktop. The ArcGIS Online web map and JSAPI 4.0 are the only clients that can display them currently. From a recent blog: " The vector basemaps can be displayed in most current, desktop web browsers and, in the near future, various desktop and mobile apps."

I hope this helps!

Rachel

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RachelWeeden
Esri Contributor

Hi Dan-

These vector basemaps are not currently viewable in ArcGIS Desktop. The ArcGIS Online web map and JSAPI 4.0 are the only clients that can display them currently. From a recent blog: " The vector basemaps can be displayed in most current, desktop web browsers and, in the near future, various desktop and mobile apps."

I hope this helps!

Rachel

DanAllen
Occasional Contributor III

thank you

Dan

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Any idea when vector basemaps will be available to Desktop so individuals can create their own vector basemaps in their own projections?

0 Kudos
RachelWeeden
Esri Contributor

Hi Michael - the next release of ArcGIS Pro (1.2) will include tools to create vector tile basemaps, which can be served out with ArcGIS for Server 10.4 or ArcGIS Online.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Will desktop EVER have this capability?

0 Kudos
RachelWeeden
Esri Contributor

When I hear 'Desktop' I think of two separate client apps - ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro - but I know many people still think 'ArcMap!' I am not aware of vector tile capabilities coming to ArcMap, but can't answer authoritatively.