Select to view content in your preferred language

New layer not showing on map

Jump to solution
03-04-2024 12:39 PM
Labels (1)
PhaedraDouglass
New Contributor

I have an online public account and I am trying to add a CSV file to a map, the file does not populate/show up on the map but the data shows in the layers tab. When I add the CSV to the map initially the whole map goes white until I add another layer. There are no error messages, or anything telling me there is an issue, it just doesn't show up. What can I do to make the data show up on the map? 

The CSV file I am uploading is pretty simple, location name, longitude, latitude, and some information about the points. I have added similar files before and had no issues. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

I just tried this using my public account and a CSV file with approx. 15,000 lat/long locations. Everything worked as expected.

BernSzukalski_0-1709586838781.png

I'd suggest scrutinizing the CSV file a bit more, perhaps there are some hidden characters at the end, etc. I can take very quick look if you email the file to bszukalski@esri.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BernSzukalski

I just tried this using my public account and a CSV file with approx. 15,000 lat/long locations. Everything worked as expected.

BernSzukalski_0-1709586838781.png

I'd suggest scrutinizing the CSV file a bit more, perhaps there are some hidden characters at the end, etc. I can take very quick look if you email the file to bszukalski@esri.com

0 Kudos
PhaedraDouglass
New Contributor

Hi Bern, 

Thank you, I have sent the file to you. 

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

is the csv data in a different coordinate system than ESRI's web mercator?

If so, often the map will zoom somewhere in limbo and you need to zoom to the layer in the TOC.  Even if your basemap and data are the same, if it is NOT the ESRI default, it almost always zooms me to nowhereland when I add data.

RhettZufelt_0-1709594535842.png

R_

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

The issue was with the formatting in the CSV file, the lat/longs were swapped and there was an odd character in one of the fields. 

0 Kudos