Select to view content in your preferred language

New features disappearing when adding them into map

09-07-2023 09:57 AM
EH_Alaska
Occasional Contributor

Hello! I'm adding this under ArcGIS Online Questions but I've actually already solved it. I'm adding it here because I saw multiple iterations of the same question without a solution, and I wanted to throw out my own.

Yesterday I had someone in my organization reach out about a series of datasets they utilize for field collection. They have a map with these datasets in it and they go to the Edit tab to add new records. Recently, when trying to add a new record they found that the record would disappear after it was added.

People online suggested things like issues with editing in Map Viewer Classic or the different types of symbology used for each layer. I tried switching to the new Map Viewer, but the records still vanished. I tried changing and removing the symbology, but this did not solve the issue either. I tried creating a new map with the same layers and... The records stopped disappearing! But as I began to replicate their original map, my new map started doing the disappearing act as well.

I realized that the issue was the filters being applied on each of the layers. If users created a new record but did not fill out some specific fields, the record would be applied to the attribute table but would be filtered out ("disappeared") by the map. This is such a simple, obvious fix but it didn't occur to me at first glance and I didn't see it mentioned in any other solutions.

So... If your records are disappearing, check your filters! I hope this helps someone. Cheers. 🙂

0 Replies