Map Viewer > Classic Map Viewer?

11-18-2022 07:39 AM
Labels (3)
LukeAllen2
Occasional Contributor

Hello everyone,

Does anybody know if there is a roadmap for the development of the map viewer in AGOL that will eventually replace the map viewer classic? I have heard whispers from some people in my group that it doesnt contain the full functionality of the classic viewer as of today so has the potential for hiccups when creating apps based on it.

Does anybody know if this is true and it still lacks some of the functionalities of the classic viewer or should I be using it exclusively now?

Thanks for the help,

4 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

What exact features are you looking for that are missing?

The primary features we hear the most requests are analysis and image upload for symbols which are planned for the next release.  Related records was another one but we just did an initial release to support this and have more planned for the coming releases.

The full parity is not there yet but we are addressing missing features each release. The potential for hiccups may come up as you try to use some of the new functionality in apps built off of older JSAPI. Map Viewer Classic and Web AppBuilder are the primary used on the older API version.

Dashboards for instance retired the older JSAPI version and the main version of Dashboards is built with the same underlying API version as Map Viewer and they have the same parity of features. https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/ops-dashboard/announcements/dashboards-classic-retiring/

Transitioning from Web AppBuilder to Instant Apps and Experience Builder will also reduce any experience with features being dropped.

We are not back porting any of the new functionality to Map Viewer Classic. Examples where you would see features being dropped when opening a web map authored in Map Viewer in Map Viewer Classic or WAB:

• Popup elements are not supported in Map Viewer Classic but are authored in Map Viewer and in ArcGIS Pro
  • Symbols published from web styles, vector symbols, hatch and marker filled symbols
  • Group Layers
  • Effects and Blend modes
  • Aggregation

Hope this helps

Russ

0 Kudos
SaraJL
by
Occasional Contributor III

I was asking ESRI about this as well! The issue I was having was embedding maps - we frequently have projects where someone just needs to create a simple map and embed it on Wordpress (or anything 3rd party site). 

New map viewer doesn't have a way to directly embed maps! You have to put it into an Instant App, Story Map, or another medium. It doesn't have the Save > Share > Embed function like the Classic Viewer does. 

Here is the discussion I was having with a product manager: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/creating-embed-links-in-arcgis-online-for-web-...

In my experience - design wise and working with data, the new map viewer is definitely easier to manage! It has some extra features that the Classic viewer doesn't have. 

Not sure if this is something that is important to you - that's just what I've come across!

Good luck with your projects!

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Embed is still on our roadmap. Probably later next year!

SaraJL
by
Occasional Contributor III

That's good to know! I asked about it in the previous post and didn't really get a response on the release date - it will really improve our workflows to be able to do it and it's so much easier for users! 😁