Map viewer - Group layers and sub group/Inception layers

Jump to solution
06-16-2021 01:46 AM
Labels (1)
CatherineMcIlwraith
New Contributor II

Does anyone know when sub-groups/Inception layers will be supported in Map viewer?

In  this blog post under 'What comes next', it says that upcoming capabilities include "Enabling you to create groups of Group Layers (Inception layers)"

(https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/try-out-layer-groups-with-map-viewer...)

If this feature is not due soon, does anyone know of a workaround to include sub-groups within groups in Map viewer?

Many thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
0 Kudos
11 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This is currently not planned for an upcoming release but you and publish group layers with sub group layers from ArcGIS Pro today.

0 Kudos
CatherineMcIlwraith
New Contributor II

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Is there no way of accomplishing this with the content I already have published in AGOL? Or is the only option to republish all my required layers (in their groups and sub-groups) from Pro? 

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
0 Kudos
RachelS
Occasional Contributor III

Has anyone tried this successfully?

I've just brought in my webmap to ArcPro, created a group then saved the web map. But when I view the web map in Portal it has ungrouped the layers.

Thanks

Rachel

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you using New Map Viewer to view the web map? Group layers are not supported in Classic Map Viewer. 

0 Kudos
RachelS

A quick search and I think the New Map Viewer is only available from version 10.9.1 of Enterprise. I'm still on 10.7.1 here, I'll have to wait until I upgrade and check again. Thanks for coming back to me.

It'll make things so much easier to create groups in a web map.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Some questions to help us out on the development side 🙂

What are you using them for?

how many group layers are you using and are you using nested group layers?

0 Kudos
RachelS

I would often use it to display previous years data. So I may have a list of layers for 2022, then I'll have a group called 2021 data and add the layers in there filtered for that year, incase users need to go back to check.

Or just grouping categories of data layers together to keep a web app with lots of layers tidy.

I'm trying to work around it by publishing Map Image layers for groups then adding these in to a web map but then there are restrictions with ordering the groups with hosted feature layers. Its minefield. Wish it was as simple when I used to use AGOL. Portal and groups is so cumbersome. Hopefully this will improve with the new versions.

As for nested groups, if you mean groups within groups, this does happen from time to time but I try to avoid it.

Rachel

RachelS

Hi @RussRoberts 

Can I just check that you can definitely create groups of layers in the webmap that have been published to Portal in ArcPro in Enterprise 10.9.1? I just don't see any reference to creating a group of layers in the links.

I'm trying to update a webmap I have for users that has groups of layers published as a map image layer. However I'm trying to update it by adding in some hosted feature layers within the groups, but these don't appear once published. So I'm back to not being able to create the groups.

I'll push to upgrade to Enterprise 10.9.1 if  this resolves it.

Thanks

Rachel

0 Kudos