Losing data when moving from Map Viewer Classic to Map Viewer

11-03-2022 09:29 AM
JamesAtkins
New Contributor II

Hi, 

I've noticed a very recent error in ArcGIS Online relating to opening maps from Map Viewer Classic to Map Viewer. 

In the last couple of days four separate students have lost all their layer data when switching form Classic to Viewer to export their maps.

The students have been uploading shapefiles into Map Viewer Classic (point, line and polygon). Editing these (removing/creating/editing features), changing symbology and adding map notes. This has all worked fine.

Then they have moved from Classic to Viewer to export their maps (as they can control scale, legend etc) and when they do that the layers no longer exist. Just the map notes. When they try to open back in Classic they get the following error:

'This web map includes configurations that are not supported in Map Viewer Classic. To ensure the best experience, open the web map in Map Viewer'

When you open in Map Viewer the data is not there. The layer data is now also gone in Classic. 

I ran exactly the same session with students a week before and no-one had this issue. Has their been an update? What might be causing the problem? I have been unable to retrieve their layer data in each instance. 

Is anyone able to help with this? I can share map files if needed.

Many thanks,

James

3 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Zipped shapefiles with multiple shps in it creates a multilayer feature collection. These are currently not fully supported in the 4.x JSAPI which means they will not draw or load in Map Viewer, Dashboard, Experience Builder. Publishing these has a hosted feature layer would solve the issue. 

JamesAtkins
New Contributor II

Thanks so much for the quick reply. The class I did the week before did have points, lines and polygons as individual shapefiles so maybe that is the reason they had no issues?

The random thing is that it has worked for some members of the class? So far it has failed for only 4 out of 20 (that I know of!) and worked when I tested it on my own account. 

Do the students need to be a certain level of user to publish as a hosted feature layer themselves?

The data was originally a hosted feature layer (they all collected data using Arc Collector onto the same feature layer) but I changed it to shapefiles so that each student could modify the data for themselves without making changes to everyone's data or the original collected data. This was the best way I knew to do that. Is there a better way for me to do that?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

I would think the ones that it has worked for they are using a hosted feature layer vs. feature collection.

The students just need the standard creator or have a setup that has publishing hosted feature layer capability enabled. 

0 Kudos