Select to view content in your preferred language

List of Available Data

04-28-2014 12:57 PM
JoshuaLong
Deactivated User
While I appreciate the search for features feature, it would be really great if a list of available data could be populated somewhere on the site (automatically).
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Joshua,

We're working on an Administrator experience that will show the list of datasets available on your site, with some additional information. While we have plans for this, if you have any details you would also like to see here, please let us know as we value your feedback.

Thank you,
Andrew
0 Kudos
MarcWeinshenker1
Regular Contributor
Andrew,

I truly do not believe that an "Administrator experience" is sufficient.  My expectation of the Open Data app was that I could link users there to see the full set of (local government) data we had to offer.  If users have to guess what we have by searching, it's a non-starter.

Marc
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Marc,

My apologies for mis-understanding your request. We are also adding support for browsing datasets that would return all items to your users. If you would like this to be returned/viewed as a list different that how they results are returned now, this is something we can look into and work with you on.

Thanks!
Andrew
0 Kudos
MarcWeinshenker1
Regular Contributor
Andrew,

I wasn't the OP, but I just joined in on the topic.  Regarding how the results are returned now, perhaps I haven't found that yet sinceall I see is the Recent Data section, which I presume is not meant for showing everything available.  Perhaps you can instruct me on how to see a proper list as it is currently configured. [ edit -- now I see how to edit the widget for a Data List.  But the max number to display is 10 and I'm having trouble seeing what happens if there are more than 10 since it does not seem to be refreshing as I share or unshare services.  AND, would it be possible for the widget title to stick at the top so it does not disappear when scrolling?]

To give you a better sense of what I am looking for as a starting point, it is a replacement for our current data download page at http://www.rockvillemd.gov/index.aspx?NID=682    When I learned of the Open Data app and how it would allow users to download data in various formats all derived from a single service, it seemed like a great way to save some effort on our end since we currently have to prepare all the various formats every time we update the data.  So, if I send users to our Open Data page, I would immediately like them to see a list of available data similar to our existing page.  Should that set of data be very large, such as for a larger organization, then searching may come into play to a larger degree.

Thanks very much,
Marc
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi Marc,

A blank search returns a (paged) list of all available datasets -- would that help?  The search results view includes links to details and download options similar to the view you currently have on your website.

To direct visitors to this view you could put a hyperlink to this search results page (e.g., http://d3.d3.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets?) labeled something like "View all available datasets" in one of the text widgets on your Open Data site home page.

Owen (Rockville resident!)
Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
MarcWeinshenker1
Regular Contributor
Hey Owen,

I'm not sure I can get you a tax credit for helping out, but thanks 😉

I see how your solution can work but it seems a bit of a work around relative to what I'd like to have, in particular because it displays differently from what would be a default home page.  In addition, while it is nice that search results can be refined by the pre-determined set of keywords which show up, I think it would be better when starting with a full set of available data if a user were able to search in their own way.

Is the nature of how I want to apply the app a problem or in conflict with respect to how the app has been envisioned and designed?

Thanks,
Marc
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Marc,

We are looking to add a widget that would provide a list of content to your home page.

Thank you,
Andrew
0 Kudos
MarcWeinshenker1
Regular Contributor
Thanks, Andrew!
0 Kudos