Layers in a Web Mapping Application display in a different order than the original Web Map

09-16-2022 11:28 AM
Labels (1)
alex_vanko
New Contributor II

Hi all. I'm having a very vexing issue with displaying an ArcGIS Online Web Map inside of a Web Mapping Application (webapp). My original map has, from bottom to top, a tile layer base topo map, several polygon feature classes, and then a tile layer on top that just contains labels from Esri's topo map. In the Web Map (in new Map Viewer), this displays perfectly, with the labels on top (first photo). But when I put this web map into a web mapping application, the display order changes, and suddenly the labels are beneath all the polygons (second photo). All the webapp does is create a shell that references and displays the web map, so why would it change the order of the layers? How can I fix this? It really doesn't look readable unless the label tile layer is on top.

Thanks for your help!

Correct, label on topCorrect, label on topIncorrect, features cover labelsIncorrect, features cover labels

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Try saving a copy of the map in Map Viewer Classic and load that into the web App.

Does it fix it?

R_

0 Kudos
alex_vanko
New Contributor II

Actually, when I open the map in Classic, the order is wrong there. Apparently, in Classic, tile layers cannot be placed above feature layers (so the label tile layer appears under the polygons). But in Map Viewer Classic, you can put the tile layer on top. This is a welcome change, but it seems the issue is that the webapp references the Classic version of my webmap, where tile layers are not allowed above features. Which is so annoying because Map Viewer proves ArcGIS Online now has the capability to put tile layers above features - just not in a webapp for some reason?

0 Kudos