Select to view content in your preferred language

Labels

Jump to solution
07-08-2014 11:19 AM
DonPritt
Occasional Contributor II

I'm very pleased with the labeling functions now on ArcGIS online but my Arcgis and Collector phone and tablet apps do not show the labels, only on my PC. We use IPAD tablets and Iphones in the field and would be nice to see the labels.

Is there movement in an update to accomplish this and a time frame?

Sorry with the new layout I can't find the old Collector or ArcGIS app forums to post this question.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NoraDougherty
New Contributor II

Stephen Smith‌ I contacted ESRI directly and received the following message

"Labels are not currently supported on the collector. It is in the list of to-do list. But collector team is not sure about the timing of this enhancement."

So, that's it then. Hopefully they will get labels working on the collector app soon.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
deleted-user-eL1mKkp8gJc9
New Contributor III

Hi Don,

The new ArcGIS Online labeling function is nice, but we've been using labeling in web maps for a while now. Just publish your feature service with the labels turned on and the service will provide the labels. See an example here. Let me know if you have any questions.

~Stephen

MatthewKing
Occasional Contributor II

+1 the OP, when will labels created with the new Create Label feature show up in any of the mobile apps?

0 Kudos
NoraDougherty
New Contributor II

I am having exactly the same problem. I can't get labels to work on the ipad, neither through the new dashboard option, nor by having the labels turned on prior to publishing the feature service. The only manner I can get labels to works is if I create them in desktop, convert them to graphics, and add them to the map as an uneditable shapefile. This is a tricky workaround though, because the fonts don't always display properly and the labels themselves are static.

How can I get the labels to work properly on the mobile device Stephen Smith‌?? any words of wisdom?

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Hi Nora,

This was a functionality I didn't even know existed until I saw the labels pop up on my web map. I simply have labels enabled on the layers in ArcMap, then I File->Share them to an ArcGIS Server Feature Service. They're actually drawn by the feature service each time the data is requested, so there is a little extra processing load on your ArcServer.

Here is a screenshot of them working on my Android phone.2014-07-19 17.26.41.png

0 Kudos
NoraDougherty
New Contributor II

Stephen, I'm doing the exact same workflow as you but for some reason I'm having a different result.

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Hmm. What version of... well... everything... are you using Nora Dougherty‌?

0 Kudos
NoraDougherty
New Contributor II

I am using 10.2. Just to confirm- in the screenshot you posted- are you viewing your webmap through the collector app? or are you viewing the webmap through a browser or some other interface?

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

10.2.. Desktop? What about your Server version? Can you share the REST URL?

That screenshot is of my Android phone running the Esri ArcGIS app. This is a screenshot of the same map loaded on my Android device in the Chrome browser.

I'm not totally sure about the nuts and bolts on everything here, but I think it has something to do with dynamic tile caching. When I setup the service I don't pre-render tiles, but allow the server to create tiles based on each map request. That way when my phone reaches out to the server with the extents, the server renders the labels and then creates the tiles for the area including the labels. Someone at Esri could probably tell you better.

2014-07-21 19.42.52.png

0 Kudos
NoraDougherty
New Contributor II

Stephen Smith‌ I contacted ESRI directly and received the following message

"Labels are not currently supported on the collector. It is in the list of to-do list. But collector team is not sure about the timing of this enhancement."

So, that's it then. Hopefully they will get labels working on the collector app soon.

0 Kudos