Labels on Map Notes in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
01-23-2018 04:59 PM
deleted-user-sYHsW3p_gN5o
Occasional Contributor II

I'm recommending some of my users to use Map Notes when creating one-off maps in ArcGIS Online. It's typically quicker than creating a full feature class if only a few points or polygons are needed. The only issue is they want to label those features, but there doesn't seem to be an easy option for that. You can have text as a Map Note, but I'd like the option to select "Label Features" and have the Name of the Map Note display. Is this possible, and I'm just missing it, or is the stand-alone text in Map Notes really the only option here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Andrew, 

I don't believe it's possible to label Map Notes as they're such a basic item - improvements are being made with items like this, Markup in Explorer/ArcGIS Online for example: Markup—Explorer for ArcGIS | ArcGIS  

For labels to appear for Map Notes, the user would have to save the layer (from the drop down), navigate to the items details of it, and publish it - this created a fully functioning hosted feature layer.

An alternative workflow might be to have a generic Point/Line/Polygon layers that users can use, and they apply a filter to it to only show the features that they own (Based on a field/Editor Tracking) - this would allow them labeling as well. 

Carmel

View solution in original post

3 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Andrew, 

I don't believe it's possible to label Map Notes as they're such a basic item - improvements are being made with items like this, Markup in Explorer/ArcGIS Online for example: Markup—Explorer for ArcGIS | ArcGIS  

For labels to appear for Map Notes, the user would have to save the layer (from the drop down), navigate to the items details of it, and publish it - this created a fully functioning hosted feature layer.

An alternative workflow might be to have a generic Point/Line/Polygon layers that users can use, and they apply a filter to it to only show the features that they own (Based on a field/Editor Tracking) - this would allow them labeling as well. 

Carmel

deleted-user-sYHsW3p_gN5o
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for the response Carmel! Just so I'm clear, what's the default way of creating a new feature class in Online? I've done it using the feature class templates, but those all seem to have too many fields and be specific to a particular use. 

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Andrew, 

If you want to create a new Feature Service in ArcGIS Online without involving ArcGIS Desktop or using existing templates, sign in to your account through this link ArcGIS for Developers > Select Create a New Layer> Create an Empty Layer > And work through the steps - using this method allows you to be specific about what fields/domains are included. 

Otherwise you can publish an empty feature class from ArcGIS Desktop or load an empty shapefile/file geodatabase in through Content in ArcGIS Online.

Carmel