Is it possible to create "subcategories" for features in the Map viewer of ArcGIS Online?

08-05-2021 02:26 AM
SalvatoreValente
New Contributor III

Hi everyone!

Suppose I have numerous feature layers about the same topic. I would like to gather all these layers under one subcategory, so that in my web map application I can give them some order.

I can manage to do this for raster layers. From ArcGIS Pro, I usually select 2 or more layers and upload them  as Map Image. When I import them in the Map Viewer I can see that both rasters are under a subcategory (which is the name that I give in the "share as a web layer" tool. 

How can I achieve the same result with features layers?

Thanks for your support!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Ensure you using the new Map Viewer (formerly Beta) https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/organize-layers-mv.htm

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The New Map Viewer supports group layers. You can create these group layers in the Map Viewer or you can create a map in ArcGIS Pro and share that Web Map to ArcGIS Online and view it in the New Map Viewer. Classic Map Viewer does not support group layers so they wont be displayed but the layers inside the group layers will be displayed. Sharing as a Web Layer will not share the group layer. Feature Layers do not store this group layer info and only exists at the map level.

0 Kudos
SalvatoreValente
New Contributor III

I don't have the layer section that is described in the link, so I guess I'm not using the correct Map Viewer. From what I read, Map Viewer beta is available with ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9. Is it correct? Do I have to pay to upgrade my ArcGIS Enterprise version?

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The beta was initially made available for https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-enterprise/announcements/map-viewer-beta-in-arcgis-...

the non-beta version of Map Viewer will roll out with 10.9.1 and will not be a separate install. 

0 Kudos
SalvatoreValente
New Contributor III

Thanks Russel! 

Can I still use the map viewer beta for ArcGIS Enterprice 10.8.1?

0 Kudos