How to Update AGOL Web Map

10-26-2018 09:49 AM
DaveGrolling1
New Contributor III

I created a web map in my AGOL content folder after publishing from ArcMap as a Portal feature service. I created a web map in AGOL by bringing in the service URL. I have three group layers with several layers within each group. In the AGOL map viewer, I went through each layer and configured the popups and symbology. After I had done this, I needed to add a new layer to one of the groups, so I added it to my MXD group layer of interest, republished the service and then went to the web map that is fed from this service. The web map doesn't update with the new layer, so I was trying to figure out how to update the web map without having to recreate the entire thing in AGOL? I don't want to really do this each time I have to add a new layer in the MXD because of the configurations I have on each layer with the popups and symbology. Am I missing some process/option to refresh the TOC so that it adds the changes I made to the service?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
RandySteele
New Contributor III

Has a solution been provided? I am publishing from a local geodatabase mxd to AGOL. Every time I add a layer I have to go through all the layers, delete the old, rename the new, change all my settings all because I want to add one layer and keep everything in the same mxd file. Now, I can't do this process anymore because we are using a 3rd party asset management program that is linked to the layer in the AGOL map. If I change the layer, it breaks the link. This really needs to be fixed now. If it has, please tell me what the process is.

Thank you,

Randy

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In your mxd, do you have the "Allow assignment of unique numeric IDs for map service publishing" checked? This is found in the Data Frame Properties dialog.

Map authoring considerations—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

In earlier versions of ArcGIS Server, the layer and table IDs of a map and feature services were not preserved after altering the source map document. This required you to update any client applications consuming layers and tables to use the updated IDs. To avoid updating client applications, it is recommended that you configure the map document to preserve the layer and table IDs

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

That does not fix this

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have several web maps that consume services that I have published from mxds and I have configured the popups for the layers in the services. Occasionally, I have a request to add more layers to the service. Before I set that unique numeric ID option, I had to reconfigure all the popups. However, after I had set that option and made sure all layers had a unique Id (the Analyze Map tool will flag the ones that don't), I have not had a problem in adding (or removing) layers from the service and losing the popup configurations.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

With unique IDs checked I have seen annotation layers when added jumble some of the IDs randomly and they themselves get set to -1 in 10.5-10.7.1.