How to create and load a layer group to ArcGIS online ????

Jump to solution
04-24-2013 11:04 AM
EbenBroadbent1
New Contributor II
Basically, just want it to behave more like ArcGIS Desktop where I can group layers thematically and allow people to open and close the folders of layers in ArcGIS online or Explorer online maps.

Any help much appreciated. I have ArcGIS 10.1 and a institutional ArcGIS online account, my tools available.

ebennb@gmail.com

Thank you!!!
Tags (2)
26 Replies
PhuongDo
New Contributor II

Is it possible to share your template Sebastien? Im in need one like that.

Thanks a lot.

Phuong

SebastienPetit
Occasional Contributor

With pleasure but it is tweeked with our logos and so on.

I guess you could anway sort that out?

Toss me an email or MP so we can send you a  link

0 Kudos
PhuongDo
New Contributor II

Dear Sebastien,

Thank you very much for the prompting message and a nice example. This is

what I am looking for. The layer group feature is what we expect ESRI to

improve but it seems they don't care much.

Is it possible to share this template with me? This could help me a lot in

dealing my GIS project data management.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Phuong Do

SebastienPetit
Occasional Contributor

Sure no problem to share it.

Just send me your email by private message (i guess it is possible?) Or give me your mail

But be aware that the code is using some layouting speicifcs to us (that you will have to remove) and we dont assure maintenance on this

PhuongDo
New Contributor II

It's very kind of you Sebastien. My email is dphuong@gmail.com. Don't know how to send PM in this forum, sorry for that.

Thanks a lot for your supports.

Regards,

Phuong Do

0 Kudos
RELAdmin
New Contributor III

I'm still looking for a way to group layers in ArcGIS Online. I am managing utility networks, and would like to group water utility, sanitary, and storm utility features together, instead of just having each layer listed separately in the layer list. I want to be able to turn on and off the whole system instead of just one layer at a time. This seems like such a simple feature to integrate with ArcGIS Online...

SebastienPetit
Occasional Contributor

I uploaded our code here

Template to use sublayers

PhuongDo
New Contributor II

Dear Sebastien,

Thank you very much for your support. I hope I will be able to handle the

instruction with your advanced classic view template.

Best regards,

Phuong Do

Mark_Hotz
Occasional Contributor II

Eben:

I'm not quite sure if this is exactly what you're asking, but I seem to be able to group layers in ArcGIS Online.  I think this might be an issue because most people are uploading single Shapefiles within a Zip file, and then hoping to group them after they have been installed in ArcGIS Online.  This cannot be done.

However, if you bundle multiple Shapefiles into one Zip file, and then upload that to ArcGIS Online, the web software will inherently group them together.  The only caveat that I can see though is that it only groups the layers in the "Contents" tab, and not the "Legend"...but this I find is Ok because this is where most people will be reading the legend anyway.

ArcGIS Online will name your group based on the name you gave to your Zip file; however, this, of course, can also be edited after you have uploaded the Zip file.  I have given you an example of what I have done in the past with ArcGIS Online.  The Zip file I just named "Fairview Noise Assessment-July2015", and each Shapefile that was contained in that Zip file is grouped below.

Grouped_Layers.png

Does this help?