Select to view content in your preferred language

How to change style based on numerical data?

07-15-2022 10:00 AM
Labels (2)
newtoGIS
New Contributor

Hi! I added this layer of coal production into my map, but for some reason the map only shows same-sized points for each coal mine despite the fact that they have very different production values. When I go to change style and tell it to show total production of coal (as shown below), it categorizes each point based on having simply a different production value, even though I would like it to change size based on how large the production value is. What can I change so that each point changes in size based on amount of total production? Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Adziegiel_NRG
New Contributor II

Hey there, I don't have an answer to your question unfortunately, as I am unfamiliar with using ArcGIS Online to make maps. However, in case you weren't already aware, while you are searching for a solution it might be helpful for you to know that the style you are looking to use is referred to as "graduated symbols".

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is "Total Production" a text field, by chance? The symbology options you're looking for won't work unless the field is numeric.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
newtoGIS
New Contributor

Hi! I'm not entirely sure but I think that may be the issue. When I try to sort in ascending/descending order it sorts randomly. How do I change it to numerical data?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, schemas are pretty fixed. You'll need to create a new field, then use a Field Calculation to populate its values. If you go to your layer's Data tab and switch to the Fields view, you should be able to add a new field there. You'll probably want an integer field, based on your screenshot.

From the Table view of the same tab, you can access the field calculator by clicking on one of the column headers.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos