Select to view content in your preferred language

How do I "Summarize Within" to quantify different kinds of land cover??

10-07-2018 04:15 PM
MonicaSzczupider
New Contributor

Please help! I have two layers in a map. One of which is a shape file for a habitat range for a gibbon, and the other is a map that shows tree cover loss from 2000-2015. All I would like to do is quantify which percentage of the gibbon's range has experienced heavy tree cover loss. I went to "Summarize Data," then "Summarize Within," then I chose my shapefile as the shape that I want to be summarized within, then I not given an option to explore the features of my tree cover loss map. Instead, I am made to choose from a list of Living Atlas Analyzer Layers, so I pick the appropriate one, which is China. Yet all I get results for is the area of the polygon. I'm sure what I want to do is a really easy task but I have no idea how to do it. I've never worked with anything GIS related in my life. Any feedback is very deeply appreciated. Thank you!!!!!

This is the map: https://arcg.is/1LuG1r 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MorganWaterman
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Monica Szczupider,

It looks like the Tree Cover Loss layer is an Imagery Layer. By design, the Summarize Within tool in ArcGIS Online only accepts vector features (points, lines, or polygons) as inputs: Summarize Within—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS.

If you have access to ArcGIS for Desktop software, you could use Raster to Polygon (Raster to Polygon—Conversion toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop) to convert the Imagery Layer to polygons and then run Summarize Within. Or, you could use Summarize Raster Within (Summarize Raster Within—RasterAnalysis Tools | ArcGIS Desktop) to calculate the area of the cover loss within the gibbon habitat.

Morgan

MonicaSzczupider
New Contributor

Hi Morgan! 

Thank you for interpreting this cryptic GIS world for me! I appreciate it a lot. You're the best!

0 Kudos