Groups that allow members to update shared items (collaboration groups)

Jump to solution
10-09-2017 06:50 AM
LauraBertran
New Contributor III

Hi,

I've been working with groups in which all members can update shared items. The functionality is really interesting since group work is very common in my organization, and this really solves the problem of having only one person applying changes.

I've read that so far, apps cannot be shared with this type of group because they do not support this functionality yet. Does anyone know when will it be supported?

Also, I've encountered some trouble when two users work on the same map. User1 creates and shares the item with the group, and then User2 can make changes on it. However, if User1 uses https and User2 does not, User1 cannot edit the map after User2, unless User1 changes to http. If User1 stays with https, everytime a map is opened in the map viewer a new blank map loads, never the saved one. I have not tested whether this behaviour stays when working with other item types.

This is a bypass to this problem, but not a real solution. Also, some of the users in my organization are new GIS users, and this issue becomes a handicap for them to use ArcGIS Online. Is this a bug or a configuration issue?

Thank you guys in advance!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a situation where an item's owner cannot be shared because it's a member of a group with update capabilities, but I have removed the item from all groups, and am still getting this message. Is it possible to find the ghost group? Thank you,

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
MegHoole
Occasional Contributor III

Interesting - I think I have run into this in the past.  ... but, can't quite recall what the solution was.  I'd contact esri support for assistance.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sigh. Actually, it was shared with a group, but when I selected, "Sharing" I couldn't see that group, because I wasn't the owner and couldn't change sharing. When I looked in the item details page, I did see the group listed as one of the groups it was a member of. I had to ask the owner to unshare it. I added myself to the group as a group manager and I still couldn't unshare. I guess only the group owner can unshare when the group has update privileges?

Thanks for your response,

Randy

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey Laura,

Unfortunately you will need to unshare and change the ownership, then re-share the data with the same group. This is a usability issue that will be considered for an upcoming project for managing other users data and collaboration. 

You can automate this action through the rest api or python api to make this less click intensive. If you want to go the python route, let me know and i can point you to the right calls.

Thanks,

Kelly

JanetSilb_Spike
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

I am having the same issue. I have created webapps and shared them with a Shared Update Group. Members of the group who I'd like to collaborate on the webapp are part of a Partnered Organization. When I select one of the webapps to change ownership as you suggest, none of the partnered organization group members show up.  Are they not eligible owners?  If not, how can I grant them access to edit the web apps?

0 Kudos