Geoprocessing on a cloud network

07-10-2015 09:46 AM
DonaldBlalock
New Contributor

I am a GIS-Coordinator for a small community.  To get our GIS system up and running quickly we decided to use a cloud network. I like the fact that I don't have to load ESRI software into everyone's computer and I don't have to deal with IT every time I need assistance.  However, I am having issues Geoprocessing on the cloud.  I crash or Stall out my process frequently anytime I work on a project of any size. Do most analysts who use a cloud system do simple edits and process on the cloud and then perform more intense or large volume geoprocessing on a robust machine in-house? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Donald, just curious, which browser and browser version are you using? If you're using something like IE 7/8, I would move to the latest version of Chrome, if you can. It sounds, however, like you're not having browser "freeze"/front-end issues, which would be common in old versions of IE as they use a JavaScript engine that performs poorly and also lack modern features. It seems you're having issues with your processes on-the-cloud, not with manipulating the maps, workflow creation, etc.

There are some unanswered Geonet forum questions identifying similar issues... I would suggest chatting with Esri support to see if they have any ideas. See if you can experiment with geoprocessing during off-peak hours... if you notice you can geoprocess at 3 AM on a Sunday, but have issues performing the same process Monday morning, I wonder if the cloud is not scaling.

I perused ArcGIS Online help and didn't see anything related to cloud performance - there also doesn't seem to be a way to allocate more cloud resources to your organization, like you can with ArcGIS Server on EC2. This is one reason why I stick with ArcGIS Server on our own hardware - for security and performance reasons - we have more control this way, although it can be prohibitively expensive/time-consuming maintaining your own data center. This is why ArcGIS Online is great!

0 Kudos