Finder

04-12-2014 01:53 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jafrie

Hello:

I'm trying to create a web application from my ArcGIS Online account, where I take information from my lawyer called "Tracts for sale" and have the general public search for a particular tract based on a field attribute within that layer. The name of the field attribute is "Tract" (non-alias name is "Tract_"). See "Screen shot #1"- attached for the layer I'm working with.

I tried using the template app "Finder", but once I was in the configure app. section, a large error button appeared indicating that none of my layers were to be found (see "Screen shot #2" - attached).

I don't know what to do next...I can't get it to work. What I'd really, really like to be able to do is to have the public say to themselves, "hey, I'd like to use this search function to find a specific tract number that I know of...it's name is tract "33-14". Then, they could type in the tract number, and then the map would zoom to it, or at least identify its location. Or, even better, search by a price range (I have price as another attribute field in the same layer called "Tracts for sale").

Any help for me...especially why it says, "This layer was not found in the map"?

Thank you!

~ Jake
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AllisonMuise
New Contributor III
Hi Jacob,

You'll need to configure the app to read your layers. The message you are seeing is actually telling you that it's not valid to leave the Find Layers parameter empty and it's showing you the valid layer names from your web map. Once you've filled out the Find Layers values, a similar message will appear for the Find Fields parameter until valid field names have been entered in the configuration panel. 

Use the layer names as they appear in the table of contents (TOC) of your web map (and the message box you're seeing), and the field names (not aliases) from your layers (and the message box once the Find Layers have been defined).

This blog post contains some good information on the configuration parameters for Finder. 

-Allison
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: MrStephenCBell

Hi,

I'm also experiencing problems with both Finder and also the Find, Edit, Filter app.  Neither of them want to take the layer name or field name properties that I'm trying to set.  It gives me a hint which layers are in the map but I type the name exactly the same and it says that layer doesn't exist.

Is this a bug or am I missing smth obvious?

Cheers
Stephen
0 Kudos