Select to view content in your preferred language

Field Settings - "Allow attribute editing" keeps reverting

2 weeks ago
Labels (3)
tschulzke
New Contributor II

I am trying to disable attribute editing for all fields except one on a hosted feature layer (in Portal), but every time I uncheck the "Allow attribute editing" box and click Save, when I click another field and then back into the one I just changed, the box is checked again, as if I had never altered it. This is happening on every field for the layer in question, which is also the only editable layer.

tschulzke_0-1718043390385.png

tschulzke_1-1718043449991.png

What is especially strange and frustrating about this is the fact that these settings work just fine in Map Viewer Classic, where all of the fields are greyed out when editing the layer, except for the one field that is meant to be edited. However, in the new Map Viewer, when I begin editing the layer, the "parcel_id" field is not only editable, but it automatically places the cursor in the field, making it active for editing and prone to accidental keystrokes. (See screenshots below.)

tschulzke_3-1718044361350.png

tschulzke_4-1718044735812.png

Because Map Viewer Classic ignores Arcade label expressions, I was forced to use Map Viewer if I wanted to have parcels labeled with three fields (owner, address, and parcel number) instead of just one. However, Map Viewer apparently ignores field settings for editability, so I'll have to choose between form and function, and the latter (for the sake of editing and overall data integrity) has to take precedence. 

Unless, of course, someone knows how to fix this problem for Map Viewer. 

P.S. On a related note, which I have submitted as an ArcGIS Online Idea, the attribute field order in the Editor window of Map Viewer does not follow the order configured in the attributes pop-up, which again goes to data integrity if multiple fields are editable but they appear in a different order while editing.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies