Select to view content in your preferred language

Field calculator is so slow!

08-14-2024 08:48 AM
CatP
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

I'm revising a student lab that was previously run in map viewer classic and worked very well. One step is for the students to calculate population density in a new field based on two other fields (total population and area - a simple division) and on 233 rows. All fields are of type double and I have a strong ethernet connection. 

AGOL is SO SLOW with the calculation. I've got lucky a couple of times and it does it in seconds, but mostly it takes so long that I give up and cancel the calculation.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

Hi @CatP

I haven't heard this before. 

Are you calculating the field in Map Viewer? 

What language are you using? 

Can you share the expression? 

0 Kudos
CatP
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi @EmilyGeo,

Yes, i'm calculating on a field through Map Viewer in a feature layer I uploaded to AGOL.

A simple SQL expression - Pop2023/AreaKm2.

I returned to the webmap I'm using this morning and the field calculation I tried to run yesterday afternoon has now populated even though I canceled out of it yesterday. It looks like it continues to run in the background which is very odd! The same field can only be seen though in the attribute table and not in the popup. 

To show the inconsistencies here, I ran the calculations again this morning on another new field and it populated within seconds. Great that it worked, but unreliable for teaching. 

Thanks,

Cat

Cat

0 Kudos
EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

Hi @CatP

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. It sounds like something is not working as it should. If you continue to see this, I recommend reaching out to tech support so they can help troubleshoot the issue and determine whether there is a bug. 

In the mean time, I have a couple of suggestions. 

1. In order to see a new field in the pop-up, you need to configure the pop-up to include the new field. 
  2. You could try running the same expression in the Arcade editor and see if that will meet your needs for the classroom. 

Best, Emily

0 Kudos