Failed to publish web layer

10-29-2017 03:50 PM
TomLek1
New Contributor

Hi. While attempting to share a web layer from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online, I keep encountering the following message 'Failed to publish web layer', despite having completed the following steps

1. Added data to map (.csv file that includes latitude and longitude fields)

2. Selected Display XY Data (spatial reference : GCS_WGS_1984)

3. Created feature layer

4. Right clicked on feature layer to 'Share as Web Layer' (Layer Type : Feature)

5. Clicked Analyze (No errors or warnings found)

6. Clicked Publish (error message: 'Failed to publish web layer')

Wonder if anyone has encountered this situation.  Look forward to your advice.

Tags (1)
20 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Tom,

In your step 3, how did you create a feature layer?

For the record, I follow a very similar pattern frequently and many times I have to make sure I make a feature layer by exporting the CSV points into a file geodatabase (or something similar). I right click on the event layer and export the data (which brings up the Copy Features geoprocessing tool dialog). Did you go through this step? 

Sometimes I have to repair my geometry as well with this. When you made the CSV event layer, did you physically see the points come up on a map?

You can also manually drag and drop a CSV into an ArcGIS Online map if you don't necessarily need a published feature layer.

AlexanderSt__John1
New Contributor

Do you know if a public account can publish a feature layer from CSV using only ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Hi Alexander, 

A public ArcGIS Online does not have the ability to publish  services (i.e make Hosted Services that live on "services.arcgis.com")  It only has the ability to create items in my content (Content in ArcGIS.com)  So you wouldn't be able to "Publish" the CSV, but you can add It to a map, It will create a Feature Layer (Feature Collection) as opposed to a Feature layer (Hosted) 

CSV, TXT, and GPX files—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Adam,

Following up with this, is there a way to tell which accounts are public versus which ones are part of an organization?

0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Adrian, 

It's actually really easy to see.

1) When you sign into ArcGIS online, look up at the URL in the browser. 

- If it still reads "arcgis.com"  this is a public account. 

- If it reads "<YourOrgShortnameHere>.maps.arcgis.com" we are logged into an organizational account.

Organizational members should also remember either; activating the organization, or being invited to join a existing one. 

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Adam,

That makes sense from a personal standpoint. But, if I am looking up a member through searching, can I tell if that member is part of an org or not?

0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Hey Adrian,  It feels like we are getting off topic here, but you're curious about a single name you can try to invite them to a group in your organization, because organizations cannot have public users in group,  it will throw an error, (After checking the backend) saying the name is from a public account. Kinda clunky, but I think this is the only way to publicly find out this information, Did anyone bring this up in Ideas? 

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Adam, we are far off topic here. I don't think this has been brought up in Ideas, but I appreciate the tip on the "clunky" way of indicating whether or not an account is public or not!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am encountering a very similar problem with the key difference being I am trying to overwrite an existing web layer from ArcGIS Pro. I analyzed the layer with no errors or warnings returned. Then, after attempting to publish, I got the message "Failed to publish web layer" with no indication as to why there was a failure. Unfortunately, this process did not fail to delete all the features in the layer I was trying to overwrite!