ESRI - method to stream points over mobile?

05-17-2019 08:37 AM
Aled_Jones
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I've been experimenting with ArcGIS collector. I'm trying to collect point data automatically from my phone, through 1 second intervals, and pushing this data to a feature layer.

It appears that collector or collector(beta) doesn't have this functionality. 

I've gone down the route of using a Android auto-clicker to enable this functionality.

Any ideas across the ESRI stack for this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Check out the tracker app: Overview page can be checked out here: https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/tracker-for-arcgis/overview

Aled_Jones
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Russle. Not enabled by org at the moment unfortunately  

I'll look into it though.

0 Kudos
MichaelKelly3
New Contributor III

QuickCapture may also be an option (although it hasn't been released just yet) - there is a webinar taking place soon which may be worth a look. It currently streams lines (not points) through a simple click and syncs back to a hosted Feature Layer.

Aled_Jones
Occasional Contributor

Looks great Michael. 

I especially like this point:

Sensor information: It is also possible to capture information about the user (such as their name) and information coming from the device’s sensors such as location, speed, and direction of travel.Would this mean that phone data, such as accelerometer readings, could be captured in attribute fields?

I'm slightly concerned that this post doesn't mention streaming or "auto capture". I hope this functionality is included  

0 Kudos
MichaelKelly3
New Contributor III

Yes the sensor data can be captured and stored as attributes. Autocapture of points is not in the current build of QuickCapture - you currently have to click to capture each point. But such functionality may come at some stage in the future.

Tracker is really the most appropriate app if you're looking to automatically capture a user's location in the background (it stores those attributes too) - it is due to be added to ArcGIS Online soon.

0 Kudos