ESRI Maps for Office - Custom Geocoding Service

Jump to solution
11-16-2015 01:57 PM
ISP_graynic
Occasional Contributor II

We are trying to use our own address locator in ESRI Maps for Office and are having issues.  We added our own address locator as a Geocoding Service in our ArcGIS Online account (using Utility Services).  When trying to geocode addresses in our Excel files however, that geocoding service is not there.  The only address Geocoding Service that is there is the default World Geocoding Service.  Is there something else that needs to be done to get the Geocoding Service accessible in ESRI Maps for Office?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ISP_graynic

I talked with ESRI, and it appears the issue is that the address locator uploaded as a geocoding service may have been created using an ArcGIS version prior to 9.2.  Locators created in a version prior to 9.2 are not supported in ESRI Maps for Office.  We are going to try and rebuild the locator in 10.3 and see if it will work then.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

Nicholas,

When on the Add data from my spreadsheet dialog click the drop-down under Location Type then select More.  You should see your address locator on under the Address section on the Standard Locations tab.

location_type.jpg

address_locator.jpg

0 Kudos
ISP_graynic

Thank you for the reply Kyle.  That's what I thought too, however our Geocoding Service is not there.  It has been figured in Utility Services, so it should be showing up there, but it is not.  We even deleted the World Geocoding Service, and when doing that, there are 0 address Geocoding Services under the address tab. 

0 Kudos
ISP_graynic

I talked with ESRI, and it appears the issue is that the address locator uploaded as a geocoding service may have been created using an ArcGIS version prior to 9.2.  Locators created in a version prior to 9.2 are not supported in ESRI Maps for Office.  We are going to try and rebuild the locator in 10.3 and see if it will work then.

0 Kudos
ChrisRobinsonCOF
New Contributor III

So I have run into this same issue, no configured locators are displaying in ESRI maps for office, just the ESRI World Locator.   I have configured locators in ArcGIS online (A single field locator and a composite locator) both are set to a higher rank than the ESRI World Locator.  Both locators (and all locators participating in the composite) are created from from version 10.3 but none of them are displaying in the available locators in the ESRI Maps for Office add in.  I thought maybe it had something to do with the composite locator being a higher rank and wasn't supported but it is currently the second choice. 

0 Kudos