Error with new Transfer Ownership permissions

Jump to solution
05-20-2022 10:02 AM
WalkerHenry__NIFCAdmin
New Contributor III

Our Org has given some of our users the new, non-admin permissions to transfer ownership of their content to other users.

These transfers require the recipient to have appropriate access to any groups that the item is shared with.
i.e. If the recipient can't share to one of the groups the item is already shared with, the item wont transfer and they receive this error:

WalkerHenry__NIFCAdmin_0-1653064879989.png

This is all well and good, but we have been seeing this error on some transfers where the recipient has the appropriate access, and even when the content is not shared to any groups.

Has anyone else using these permissions seen this error when the recipient appears to have the correct group access?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WalkerHenry__NIFCAdmin
New Contributor III

Huge thanks to the FWS Admins for figuring this one out!!

It appears that a user's Favorites are stored in a secret/hidden group and this is what is triggering most of the errors where the recipient has the correct group permissions. There are other cases where not all sharing is immediately apparent, resulting in similar a 'hidden group' scenario, but these are less common.

If your Org has experienced this issue, please request to be attached to the bug so that it can be prioritized for a fix as soon as possible. Thanks!

BUG-000149718: Unable to change ownership of an item if favorited by another user.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KennethElsner
New Contributor II

The FWS Org Admins (Paul Hoeffler and I) spent a good amount of time messing with self service transfers in the Beta and found a mound of buggy behavior. Esri seems to have fixed the issues we found prior to the March update being released into the wild. 

I have seen buggy behavior in certain AGOL aspects that is inconsistent across organizations (example.... something works in the NIFC org but not in the FWS AGOL org even though everything is configured equally). 

The most worrisome part of your statement to me, is that this behavior is happening on items not shared with any groups. Maybe Esri can weigh in?

0 Kudos
WalkerHenry__NIFCAdmin
New Contributor III

Huge thanks to the FWS Admins for figuring this one out!!

It appears that a user's Favorites are stored in a secret/hidden group and this is what is triggering most of the errors where the recipient has the correct group permissions. There are other cases where not all sharing is immediately apparent, resulting in similar a 'hidden group' scenario, but these are less common.

If your Org has experienced this issue, please request to be attached to the bug so that it can be prioritized for a fix as soon as possible. Thanks!

BUG-000149718: Unable to change ownership of an item if favorited by another user.