Select to view content in your preferred language

Error Reading Package Contents from ArcGIS online

10-04-2010 06:52 AM
ChristinaHupy
New Contributor
I have a student who can logon onto ArcGIS online using her global user account from ArcMap (v10). She tries to add data from ArcGIS online from ArcMap (v10), clicks on any of the available maps, it appears to load, and then she recieves an error stating "Error Reading Package Contents".  She has tried this on several machines on different days. All other students are able to open the ArcGIS online layers via ArcMap (v10) with no problems.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Christina Hupy
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
31 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Christina,

Can you share the layer package with me, so I can test it?

There shouldn't be any issues with an individual account consuming content.

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Kudos
ChristinaHupy
New Contributor
Andrew,
She is just trying to add one of the basemaps, the bing aerial images. She recieves this error no matter what layer she is trying to add! She tried again today and is recieving the same error while none of my other students have thisproblem.

Any ideas?

Christina,

Can you share the layer package with me, so I can test it?

There shouldn't be any issues with an individual account consuming content.

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Christina,

I can't think of a reason why a single account would have problems opening the public basemaps. Does she have problems using the basemap when she's not signed into ArcGIS.com?

Andrew
0 Kudos
jessebelcher
New Contributor
I am having the same problem. It does not matter if i am singed in or not. This is using desktop Editor 10.
0 Kudos
MarkSmith1
Occasional Contributor
I'm having the same problem. ArcEditor 10. Not matter what basemap I try to add (bing, arcgis online) I get the "Invalid package" error. None of my co-workers are having a problem adding basemaps.
0 Kudos
ChristopherClement
New Contributor
I have been getting the same message. I am working at home going through a vpn. Dont know if that has anything to do with it. (v10)
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Chris,
  The VPN could have something to do with it, were still looking for more details on what's causing this.

Are you only having problems with layer packages, or can you not access services as well?

Andrew
0 Kudos
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III
I have the same issue with basemaps.

ArcGIS 10 SP1
Win 7-64
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
How about accessing the basemaps through this link? Does it work for you?

http://links.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/en/arcmap931/layers

This link provides access to layer files (LYR), rather than layer packages (LPKs).

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos