Error connecting to ArcGIS online

05-13-2019 12:18 PM
AlanWheeler1
New Contributor III

I am trying to connect to ArcGIS online from my desktop version of Arcmap. This worked yesterday but will not work today. I am receiving the following error message

The underlying connection was closed. An unexpected error occurred on a send. 

I have tried closing and re-opening the mxd file and also signed out and back into my ArcGIS account. Nothing works.

Please help if you are able.

Thanks

Alan

3 Replies
JoeCatanzarita1
Occasional Contributor II

Alan Wheeler,

Hello and good afternoon!

My initial question for you is, can you verify whether or not you have the necessary TLS 1.2 Desktop Patch (https://support.esri.com/en/download/7666) installed on your machine? While I'm not sure if an absence of this patch would explain why you were able to connect yesterday and aren't able to connect today, it's still necessary to have if you plan on pulling basemaps, services, etc. from ArcGIS Online.

Additional Questions:

• What version of ArcMap are you using?
  • Where is this error message "The underlying connection was closed. An unexpected error occurred on a send" occurring, in ArcGIS Administrator or ArcMap?
  • Can you verify you're connected to the Internet and can access www.arcgis.com in a browser?

Hope to hear back soon,

Joe

AlanWheeler1
New Contributor III

Not sure why but it is working today. Thanks for your help.

JoeCatanzarita1
Occasional Contributor II

Alan Wheeler,

Thank you for the update!

Perhaps there was some kind of network issue occurring, which prevented you from accessing ArcGIS Online from ArcMap. In the future, if this ever happens again, you could always try switching Networks (if that's possible). Assuming this issue happened on your work environment, you could always try your Network at home or in a public location i.e. Starbucks.

Best of luck!

Joe

0 Kudos