Error adding .csv to My Content

08-03-2016 12:16 PM
BrianBrady5
New Contributor

Hello, I am trying to add a .csv to My Content.

My Content > add item > From my computer > "traffic_counts.csv"

When I do so it returns "there was an error" with no more information:

2.PNG

Here is a sample of my .csv file:

snap_data.PNG

If you have any insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it looks like a spreadsheet.... open the csv file in a text editor and as a suggestion you shouldn't use field names with spaces in them or other unsavoury characters.

BrianBrady5
New Contributor

I removed the spaces, here is screenshot of the .csv opened in a text editor:

3.PNG

I receive the same error. Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

well, I hope it isn't the case of lat and long, they cite Latitude and Longitude but that would be just plain dumb.  However there is a litany of requirements any of which you will have to confirm.  Hopefully you don't have dates cause you will be there for a while... addresses are an issue as well

CSV, TXT, and GPX files—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

BrianBrady5
New Contributor

Yes, I will need to format this properly. However, i am further confused in that it won't allow me to upload something like this:

5.PNG

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I was questioning where the case of the coordinae field was important.. but if you haven't been able to add anything thaen it is a different problem

0 Kudos
JosiahCorona2
New Contributor II

Have you federated your server and selected a hosting server? I'm assuming you are working with portal.

0 Kudos
BrianBrady5
New Contributor

I am not familiar with Portal. I have an arcGIS for developers account. This account should give me permission to To web-enable feature layers from CSV files, correct? I believe I have everything set up and running. I am able to create simple web apps locally with the WebAppBuilder on top of Node. I apologize for any ignorance, I am very new to GIS.

0 Kudos