Draw or import a unique shape?

Jump to solution
12-07-2023 01:28 PM
ReneePatrickTrailConsulting
New Contributor II

I have a unique shape that I want to draw or import (it's originally a vector created in Illustrator) into ArcGIS online to use on a map. I've tried drawing it in the map using add features - freehand area, but it's really messy. How can I create a smooth shape?

Another option would be to import a graphic that I can trace at great detail using the freehand area tool. Is that possible?

Map Shape.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

Hi @ReneePatrickTrailConsulting

If its a jpg or png, you could try importing that into your map as a media layer. In the add media layer window you can use up to 4 control points to scale / place the media, as well as configure properties like transparency to see what is underneath the image.

You could either display the media layer on your map, or you could use it to trace the shape using the Sketch tools, depending on your needs. Check out ArcGIS Online Help for step by step instructions on how to add a media layer to your map.   

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

In Illustrator, try exporting the graphic to CAD format (DXF) and then bring import it into ArcGIS Pro and then save it as a feature layer. It won't have spatial attributes but you can just bring it in and manually move it and scale the feature once you have it into GIS.

0 Kudos
EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

Hi @ReneePatrickTrailConsulting

If its a jpg or png, you could try importing that into your map as a media layer. In the add media layer window you can use up to 4 control points to scale / place the media, as well as configure properties like transparency to see what is underneath the image.

You could either display the media layer on your map, or you could use it to trace the shape using the Sketch tools, depending on your needs. Check out ArcGIS Online Help for step by step instructions on how to add a media layer to your map.   

ReneePatrickTrailConsulting
New Contributor II

Brilliant! That worked perfectly. I had been using the map viewer classic so hadn't know about that feature. Thank you so much!

0 Kudos