Data Sharing/Collection Across Organizations

03-08-2023 12:56 PM
SaraJL
by
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to determine the best way to collaborate on a project with another organization - and I'm curious on if anyone has thoughts or advice!

We have a data collection project that uses Field Maps - we have a GPS antenna that we use so we can collect high-precision data (sub-decimeter). Currently, we have collaborative groups set up so multiple users can contribute - but we're looking into ways to allow an outside party collect data and contribute with the project as well. 

The catch is:

• We do not allow the addition of outside users to our ArcGIS Online hosted site (for numerous reasons)
  • Need the ability to collect high-precision data (sub-decimeter)
  • We don't use an ArcGIS Portal or Enterprise server - but we can use Google Drive storage

I thought Survey123 would work, but I don't think Survey123 has the ability to collect data at high-prevision accuracy.

ArcGIS QuickCapture doesn't work because it required an ArcGIS Hub premium license.

Field Maps doesn't work because we'd have to add outside user to the ArcGIS Online group in order to share/access the data.

Any suggestions on a good workflow that we might be able to use?

Thank you for the help!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Richard_Purkis
Esri Contributor

Hi @SaraJL 

Thanks for getting in touch. There a numerous points you have made above that need addressing firstly.

• Survey123 does support high precision external GNSS receivers. See this documentation
  • QuickCapture is not directly related to ArcGIS Hub so will not require a premium hub license
  • Survey123 and QuickCapture have the same licensing / access limitations as Field Maps 

If the other organization has an ArcGIS Online subscription then one option is setting up a partnered collaboration between the two.  Shared data will be accessible via a group / workspace. More information here.

If the required users have ArcGIS Online accounts then another workflow is to create a group specific to the project and then invite the users to join the group. This will only allow them access to the data shared with your group and not with your organisation's content.

Hope this helps

SaraJL
by

Thank you for your reply! I'll definitely look into this - but just a quick note about the QuickCapture - 

I'm wondering if this might be a recent change! When I try to share a QuickCapture project publicly - the button is grayed out and it says "To share with everyone, your organization must add ArcGIS Hub premium"

SaraJLD_0-1678382692296.png

Is this something I could contact support about? If QuickCapture is not related to ArcGIS Hub, I'm wondering if we might have a bug in our organization instance.

Any thoughts? Thank you again for the help!

Rob_Gordon_NE
New Contributor III

Hi, apologies to jump in on this thread, if we have a group that allows members from external organisations, can the external members edit hosted feature layers within field maps? I am unsure if this would need a partnered collaboration or would that only be if we wanted to reach Shared Update Group level of editing between the two organisations?

0 Kudos
Strahanjen
Occasional Contributor II

Did you find an answer to your question? I'm wondering the same thing.

0 Kudos
SaraJL
by

I was able to find something that worked!

After talking with tech support again, we decided to try the Partnered collaborations. Which so far has worked really well.

The pros:

• Works with a regular ArcGIS Online group
  • You can add users from other orgs without having to grant them access to your site
  • Pass ownership around if accounts expire (they leave the org, graduate, etc.)

The cons:

• It only works if the person you want to add has an ArcGIS Online site! I'm not sure how well it would work with just individual users - but it requires an ArcGIS Online hosted site to work
  • Other org has to accept an invite - not a showstopper, but you'll have to pinpoint the correct contact to do it

I would recommend giving it a try if you have a similar situation! It was rather easy to set up over a Zoom screen share, and it's been pretty self-sufficient to maintain.

Good luck with your project! Let me know if you have any more questions about it!

0 Kudos
Richard_Purkis
Esri Contributor

Hi @SaraJL 

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. That is news to me too but I have just confirmed with the documentation that is expected.

For your needs though I do not believe it would be required to share the Project publicly. You will want to share at an organizational level

Let  me know if you have any more questions.

0 Kudos
SaraJL
by

If we have non-org members contributing data however - won't it need to be public otherwise they will have to sign in? We don't add outside users (even outside ArcGIS Online users) to our system directly because it has caused a lot of issues with data ownership. 

So in general if I create a QuickCapture project - if I set it at Org only sharing, but it's a public user not in our system, will they have to log in to add to the project?

0 Kudos
Richard_Purkis
Esri Contributor

@SaraJL 

Apologies my response could have been clearer. My suggestion for sharing the QuickCapture project via the organization was taking into account sharing the data at group level or via a collaboration.

If you have an Account Manager these are the types of questions they will be able to answer and work with you to find an appropriate solution.

Let me know if you have any other questions

0 Kudos