Custom vector tile packages for offline use in custom applications

08-07-2019 07:40 AM
deleted-user-jxpbpbjlZInj
Occasional Contributor

Can you create a custom vector basemap and create tile packages for offline use in a custom application? We're working on a mobile app and we currently use Mapbox for the custom basemap. We want to switch to @ESRI products but we aren't sure if we can do the same thing that we can with the Mapbox tiles. 

Because I'm not a developer, I'm having a hard time finding what is the proper documentation for how to do this (if it's possible.) Can someone tell me if this is possible? Can someone point me to the proper documentation?

THANKS!!!!! Please halp.

#basemap #custom #offline #mapbox #esri #tilepackage

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Sunny,

Yes, you can.  This article show how to customize a Vector Tile Service, Extract a Vector Tile Package from the service and put it in a Mobile Map Package, for use in an application.

Mark

Occasional Contributor

THANK YOU!!!!!!! Why in the world did I have such a hard time finding this on my own. You're awesome. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Oh now I have another question - when I downloaded the default World Dark Gray, I got a .tpk in my contents tree. When I pulled in a custom vector basemap I had made in the vector editor online, it downloaded a .vtpk and it's in my temp folder... Did I do something wrong? How do I get that custom basemap over to my developer?

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Sunny,

For World Dark Gray, if you ended up with a TPK when you downloaded the map, it means that your organization is not using the Esri vector basemaps.   It is a setting that you organization administrator can set.

When you downloaded your custom map it should have added the layer to your map, and the actual VTPK file will be in your Project Folder.    If you right click the layer in the Table of Contents, and click Properties you will be able to see the data source path.

Mark

0 Kudos