Creating a map application that connects community members with nearest social service office

04-02-2021 02:14 PM
Tamelonie_Thomas
New Contributor II

Hello, I work at a food bank and we refer the community that we work with to a social service department in our city that has multiple locations in the city. I would like to create a mapping application where I have the ability to enter one of our community member's addresses and it will return the nearest social service department to their home or work. This is a small, but important aspect of our work. I will be using ArcGIS online since our organization doesn't have any Esri products yet. 

How should I go about creating this? I know that I may need a shape file of the city boundaries, markers to denote the social service department locations and the ability to search using someone's address. It's been a while since I have used ArcMap or ArcGIS 

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

2 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I doubt you can do much in app creation without an org account but this is certainly the kind of thing a $100 personal use non-commercial license would be good for. Better yet, partner with a local university and make it a student project so you can piggyback off their license. There may be an intro to GIS student in your area looking for a useful project as we speak!